March 11, 2016 - Author: Bert Cregg
- Height: 40’
- Spread: 40’
- Site characteristics: Full sun to partial shade
- Zone: 5a - 9a
- Wet/dry: Requires evenly moist soils, not drought-tolerant
- Native range: China and Japan
- Salt: Tolerant
- pH: 5.0 - 8.2
- Other: Does not tolerate compaction or heavy soils; protected site best
- Shape: Upright, pyramidal when young, rounded with age
- Other: New leaves bright red when unfolding; good, yellow fall color; dry leaves have caramel scent; clump or single stem.
- Additional: Transplant in spring or fall
- Pests: Thin bark can sunburn. Compacted soil can be a problem.