For decorative purposes.

Kombucha and Other Beverages

June 4, 2024 - <>,

Important Note Connect with a Product Center Counselor

Key Information

All prepared beverages such as coffee, tea, kombucha, and seltzers must be manufactured in a licensed commercial kitchen inspected by the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD) . Prepared beverages that will be served “ready-to-drink” are licensed and regulated by the local health department. Prepared beverages that will be sold as a shelf-stable product in retail or wholesale establishments must follow MDARD licensing and regulatory requirements. Additionally, shelf-stable prepared beverages require the following, Process Authority Review (PAR) testing, a Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) plan and training, and compliant label. 

Regulatory Body and Contact Information

Helpful Links


Important Note

All food and beverage products (even similar items) may have different regulations depending on what ingredients are used, the location or facility in which it is being produced, the packaging materials used, the distribution or shipping methods, as well as a variety of others. Licensing and regulation for food and beverage production in Michigan is administered by Local Health Departments, the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD), the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), local zoning regulations, and the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy (EGLE). 

To guide you through the process of launching your food or beverage business, Michigan State University (MSU) Extension’s Product Center is an organization that brings together on-campus expertise in the sectors of food, agriculture, and natural resources to help entrepreneurs define and launch innovative products. Field-based innovation counselors advise entrepreneurs on a variety of services, including business planning, packaging and labeling rules, licensing and regulatory requirements, marketing, branding, distribution, product testing, and other product development needs.  

To access business development assistance from the MSU Product Center staff, select the “Become a Client” button on the MSU Product Center website. There is a $100 application fee to join, which grants clients access to unlimited counseling hours. We also ask that clients sign a confidentiality agreement to protect their information. 

If you have specific questions about how your product will be regulated, you may reach out to your Local Health Department or the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD). 


Accessibility Questions:

For questions about accessibility and/or if you need additional accommodations for a specific document, please send an email to ANR Communications & Marketing at