Rewarding Farmers through Premium PaymentsDOWNLOAD FILE
May 1, 2016 - Author: Dan Clay
Rewarding Farmers through Premium Payments
Feed the Future Africa Great Lakes Region Coffee Support Program Team
Policy Roundtable, Kigali, Rwanda
Challenge and Findings
• Provision of more premium may increase quality coffee production
• Premium increases productivity per coffee tree
• Being in a cooperative is an enabler to receive premium all else equal.
• Farmers in hilly locations above 1601 m asl. have greater likelihood to receive premium because of quality coffee.
• Premium is an incentive to supply coffee to CWS.