Road Map towards The Malabo Declaration: Increasing Smallholder Farm Productivity through Improved Farm Management PracticesDOWNLOAD FILE
December 1, 2014 - Author: Regional Network of Agricultural Policy Institute - ReNAPRI
Regional Network of Agricultural Policy Institute (ReNAPRI). 2014. Road Map towards The Malabo Declaration: Increasing Smallholder Farm Productivity through Improved Farm Management Practices. Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Food Security Policy Research Brief 3. East Lansing: Michigan State University
- The sub-Saharan smallholder farmers’ productivity challenge is multi-dimensional in nature; therefore, the solution needs to be multifaceted.
- Population growth in densely populated smallholder farming areas is contributing to growing land pressures and unsustainable forms of agricultural intensification.
- Loss of micronutrients and soil organic matter depress the efficiency of inorganic fertilizer in contributing to crop output.
- Despite the combined use of fertilizer and hybrid seeds, maize yield levels are low for many African farms when compared to Chinese smallholder farms.
- Improved farm management techniques can mitigate the impact of soil degradation, contribute to efficient use of fertilizer, and promote productivity growth for smallholder agriculture in Africa.