Understanding the Needs of Washtenaw County Land-SeekersDOWNLOAD FILE
The survey was developed by representatives from Michigan State University Extension, Washtenaw County Agricultural Lands Preservation Advisory Committee (ALPAC), the Ann Arbor Greenbelt, and Legacy Land Conservancy. Using the MSU Extension Qualtrics platform, the survey was distributed via the Southeast Michigan Local Farm Newsletter (managed by MSU Extension), the SocialFarmers listserv, and the Washtenaw County Farmers Facebook Group. Thirty-six responses were received.
The survey was developed to inform the creation of a land-link program in Washtenaw County, seeking answers to questions like:
- What type of land do farmland-seekers seek?
- What is their desired acreage?
- What is considered an ideal distance from an urban center?
- What are the major barriers to land access?
- Is there interest in purchasing land with a conservation easement?