American Society for Horticultural Science
Application Deadline: February 4, 2019
The ASHS Scholars Award was established by the ASHS Board of Directors for the purpose of recognizing and supporting scholastic achievement and to encourage career development in horticultural science at the undergraduate level.
Two annual scholarships in the amount of $1500 will be given to each of two undergraduate students majoring in horticulture at a four-year institution of higher education who meet the criteria listed below:
1) An undergraduate student of any class standing at the time of the application
2) Registered as a full-time student (minimum 10 credit hours) and actively pursuing a degree in horticulture
3) Excellence in academic and scholastic performance in the major (an area of horticulture) and supporting areas of science
4) Participation in extracurricular, leadership and research activities relating to horticulture
5) Participation in university and community service
6) Demonstrated commitment to the horticulture science profession and related career fields
7) Related horticultural experiences
Applicants must be nominated by the chair/head of the department in which they are majoring, but only one applicant per department may be nominated.
Applicants must submit the application form that is supported by the following materials:
- A 250- to 500-word essay (see criteria on application form)
- A complete resume and/or vitae
- Three letters of reference
- Official university/college transcripts
NOTE: All elements of the scholarship application must be submitted. Please be certain that all elements of the application are completed. Incomplete applications cannot be considered.
The ASHS Scholarship Awards Committee will screen all applications received by 4 February.
Notice of the award will be given approximately 2 May.
Recipients will be recognized publicly as ASHS Scholars at the ASHS Annual Conference and are encouraged to attend to receive the scholarship.
Recipients will receive a certificate and a check for $1500, to be used for educational purposes.