Berkshire Botanical Garden’s Center House Entry Garden Student Design Competition Call for Proposals
Application Deadline: October 15, 2017
Berkshire Botanical Garden’s Center House Entry Garden Student Design Competition Call for Proposals Stockbridge, MA
The Berkshire Botanical Garden (BBG) is launching a call for proposals to select a designer or design team to help create a new entry garden on its 15-acre property. This call for proposals is open to all students currently enrolled in an accredited landscape architecture program in the United States and Canada. Entrants can be individuals or teams of students.
BBG is seeking an innovative proposal that will complement the design of its newly restored and expanded Center House building and surrounding established garden areas. The c. 4,000 sq.ft. Entry Garden area will become the new gateway for tens of thousands of annual visitors touring the Garden, attending special events on BBG grounds and inside the Center House, and participating in BBG’s varied horticultural and educational programs that take place year-round.
The winning design will be selected by a five-member jury made up of independent designers, horticulturalists, and landscape architects, on the basis of the creative response to the design brief as well as originality and clarity of the concept and the creative approach. The winning submission must take into consideration the specifics of the site, the challenges of the location, BBG’s estimated project implementation budget and timeline, the demands on ongoing maintenance, and the programming envisioned by BBG for the garden area and the adjoining Center House building.
- The winning design proposal will be used as the basis for the new Center House Entry Garden that will be built beginning in December, 2017.
- BBG’s staff and design consultants will provide feedback on the concept described in the winning submission, and will work with the winning designer(s) towards a final design and construction drawings, which must be finalized by December, 2017.
- The winning designer will be awarded an honorarium of $1,500. Two runners-up will each receive $750. These three designs will be exhibited at BBG during the winter of 2018, and BBG will seek to publicize the designs through local, regional and national media channels.
- BBG plans to have a design development and construction budget of $100,000 available to implement the Center House Entry Garden. However, we reserve the right not to implement the design based on unforeseen future funding constraints or for any other reason.
- Student(s) must email the completed registration form. BBG will confirm the registration by providing a unique Registration Number via return email.
- Student(s) must pay a $50 registration fee by check to “Berkshire Botanical Garden” or over the phone by credit card by October 20, 2017. Please include registration number on the check.
- $50 registration fee and proposals must first be submitted by October 20, 2017 at 5pm EDT. Any applications submitted after the October 20, 2017 deadline will not be accepted.
- The winning design and two runners up will be announced on November 3, 2017 on the competition website, and through local and regional news media.
Please call the BBG offices at 413- 320-4794 or email the executive director, Michael Beck.