HUD Innovation in Affordable Housing Student Design & Planning Competition 2019
Application Deadline: December 10, 2018
- Registration will begin on October 1, 2018; sign up to receive competition updates.
Transforming our Communities
- The need for quality, affordable housing has never been greater. At its best, housing can help strengthen the social and physical fabric of communities and neighborhoods. It is the hope of HUD and PD&R that by initiating and funding this competition, a new generation will advance the design and production of livable and sustainable housing for low- and moderate-income people through research and innovation.
Making it Actionable
- The IAH competition has been designed to replicate a real-life approach. Multi-disciplinary teams comprised of graduate students in architecture, planning and policy, finance and other areas will be asked to address social, economic, and environmental issues in responding to a specific housing problem developed by an actual public housing agency (PHA).
- PD&R works with a PHA that owns and operates a site designated for the affordable housing design issue. PD&R works with the PHA to develop the necessary project briefing materials, including a comprehensive problem statement; background information on the project; community information; and relevant existing design proposals.
- $20,000 will be awarded to the first-place team; $10,000 to the runner-up; and $5,000 to the two remaining finalists.
2019 Competition Calendar
|Phase 1 Begins||12/11/2018|
|Phase I Submittal Deadline||2/4/2019|
|Final Four Teams Announced||2/18/19|
|Site Visit for Finalists||3/6/18|
|Phase II Submittal Deadline||4/15/18|
|Final Presentations and Winners Announced in DC||4/17/19|