Get kids on target through the 4-H Shooting Sports Program!
The Michigan 4-H Shooting Sports program has been active for more than 20 years. Youth in more than 70 counties participate in a variety of shooting sports areas every year! Members can learn safety and shooting techniques for shotgun, rifle, air gun, muzzle loading and archery. They learn how to handle firearms responsibly for target practice and hunting and learn respect for the natural environment.
The goal of all 4-H Youth Development programs is youth development. All project areas work toward developing skills youth need to be productive and positive adults in society. Decision making, teamwork, problem solving, being responsible and having high self-esteem are just a few of the many skills 4-H helps to develop.
Objectives specific to the 4-H Shooting Sports program are to:
- Encourage participation in environmental and outdoor education programs by exposing youth to shooting, hunting and other related activities.
- Support youth in developing valuable conservation and natural resources related knowledge, skills and stewardship.
- Enhance development of self-concept, character and personal growth through safe, educational and socially acceptable involvement in shooting.
- Teach safe and responsible use of firearms and archery equipment.
- Promote the highest standards of safety, sportsmanship, ethical behavior and conservation.
- Strengthen families through participation in lifelong recreational activities.
- Provide hands-on learning experiences.
To find a group in your area, visit your county MSU Extension office or check out upcoming 4-H Shooting Sports events and training workshops.
4-H Members will learn basic skills and shoot under the direct supervision of a certified instructor/4-H leader for that discipline.
- Local 4-H Shooting Sports clubs are open to all youth ages 9 to 19.
- Archery or BB Gun can be appropriate for ages 7 and 8 with one on one adult direct supervision at the discretion and authorization of a certified shooting sports instructor.
- Teens ages 16+ may participate in training events, becoming certified to lead live fire events with their clubs, under the supervision of a Certified Shooting Sports Instructor age 21+.
- State Awards are the highest honor bestowed upon Michigan 4-H Members. This year's program features a category for only shooting sports members! Applications and details available soon.
Adult 4-H Volunteers can become involved in many ways:
- Become a Certified 4-H Shooting Sports Instructor (See training tools link for details and upcoming training events.)
- "Non-certified" volunteers - are always needed! (Help with fundraising, organization and planning, non-live fire instruction, and more.)
Competitions (Regional, State, and National)
Alcona 4-H Youth Archery Tournament. Alcona 4-H holds an annual, regional event. 4-H members from surrounding areas are invited to participate. Contact Les Thomas, Alcona County 4-H Program Coordinator email@example.com.
Festival of the Pines Youth Archery Tournament This tournament is held annually in Missaukee County. Contact 4-H Archery Instructor Dale Mosher (firstname.lastname@example.org) for details.
2019 Michigan 4-H State Shooting Sports Tournament. The State Shoot will be held August 2-3, 2019 at Blue Water Sportsman's Association in St. Clair County.
- For Discipline Rules, please see Tournament Rules page. (not yet updated for 2019 event)
- T-shirts will be for sale on site in a variety of sizes, colors and styles that can be custom made for you! Be sure to check it out!
- Volunteers needed! Help is needed months prior and during the event. Contact Laura Quist at email@example.com
2019 National 4-H Shooting Sports Invitational. June 23 - 28, 2019. Heartland Public Shooting Park in Grand Island, Nebraska. Please submit applications to Laura Quist at firstname.lastname@example.org by January 20, 2019. Applications available soon.
- 4-H Shooting Sports National Championships
- National Championships Application. Application available soon; due January 20, 2019.
Support 4-H Shooting Sports
Partners include organizations wanting to expand youth development through conservation education such as hunting and shooting sports, and sportsman’s clubs willing to share their space with local groups.
Assistance from individuals or organizations is welcome and critical to our mission. To donate, please contact the Michigan 4-H Youth Foundation. The following organizations have provided crucial funding support to youth shooting sports programs so they remain accessible to all youth in Michigan:
- National Wild Turkey Federation
- Michigan Chapter of the NWTF
- The Federal Cartridge Company
- Michigan 4-H Foundation; 4-H Shooting Sports Endowment Fund
- MSU Extension 4-H Youth Development
For the lastest news, follow and LIKE Michigan 4-H Shooting Sports on Facebook!
For more information on how to get involved as a youth or volunteer, contact your county MSU Extension office or:
Michigan State University Extension
6180 W. Sanborn Road, Suite 2
Lake City, MI 49651
Phone: (231) 839-5848