Get kids on target through the 4-H Shooting Sports Program!
The Michigan 4-H Shooting Sports program has been active for more than 20 years. Youth in more than 70 counties participate in a variety of shooting sports areas every year! Members can learn safety and shooting techniques for shotgun, rifle, air gun, muzzle loading and archery. They learn how to handle firearms responsibly for target practice and hunting and learn respect for the natural environment.
The goal of all 4-H Youth Development programs is youth development. All project areas work toward developing skills youth need to be productive and positive adults in society. Decision making, teamwork, problem solving, being responsible and having high self-esteem are just a few of the many skills 4-H helps to develop.
Objectives specific to the 4-H Shooting Sports program are to:
- Encourage participation in environmental and outdoor education programs by exposing youth to shooting, hunting and other related activities.
- Support youth in developing valuable conservation and natural resources related knowledge, skills and stewardship.
- Enhance development of self-concept, character and personal growth through safe, educational and socially acceptable involvement in shooting.
- Teach safe and responsible use of firearms and archery equipment.
- Promote the highest standards of safety, sportsmanship, ethical behavior and conservation.
- Strengthen families through participation in lifelong recreational activities.
- Provide hands-on learning experiences.
To find a group in your area, visit your county MSU Extension office or check out upcoming 4-H Shooting Sports events and training workshops.
4-H Members will learn basic skills and shoot under the direct supervision of a certified instructor/4-H leader for that discipline.
- Local 4-H Shooting Sports clubs are open to all youth ages 8 to 19.
- Archery or BB Gun can be appropriate for age 8 with one on one adult direct supervision at the discretion and authorization of a certified shooting sports instructor.
- Teens ages 14+ may participate in training events, becoming certified to lead live fire events with their clubs, under the supervision of a Certified Shooting Sports Instructor age 21+.
- State Awards are the highest honor bestowed upon Michigan 4-H Members. This year's program features a category for only shooting sports members! Congratulations to all that applied.
Adult 4-H Volunteers can become involved in many ways:
- Become a Certified 4-H Shooting Sports Instructor (See training tools link for details and upcoming training events.)
- "Non-certified" volunteers - are always needed! (Help with fundraising, volunteer management, organization, safety, event planning, non-live fire instruction, STEM learning, and more.)
Scholarships and Awards
- Michigan 4-H Scholarships and Recognition: https://www.canr.msu.edu/4_h_scholarships_and_recognition_program/4_h_scholarships
- Daisy Scholarship - applications accepted each winter with a spring deadline. Applications will be posted when available from National 4-H and Daisy. Michigan winner(s) is submitted to a National 4-H contest with awards announced during the National 4-H Shooting Sports Championships each June. Questions? Contact Laura Quist email@example.com.
- Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) offers $1,000, one-year scholarship assistance to qualified juniors in order to encourage and reward their outstanding efforts. Based on merit, selected individuals are high school seniors who are currently enrolled in a team or club that is participating in marksmanship competitions. The CMP seeks applications from high school seniors who currently compete in marksmanship competitions. http://thecmp.org/communications/cmp-scholarship-program/
Competitions (Regional, State, and National)
Alcona 4-H Youth Archery Tournament. Alcona 4-H holds an annual, regional event. 4-H members from surrounding areas are invited to participate. Contact Les Thomas, Alcona County 4-H Program Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org.
Festival of the Pines Youth Archery Tournament This tournament is held annually in Missaukee County. Contact 4-H Archery Instructor Dale Mosher (email@example.com) for details.
Southeast Michigan 4-H Target Archery Tournament Held Saturday, March 16, 2019 in Davisburg. Info, flyer and registration at https://bit.ly/2Se3gev .Questions? Contact Mark Cowan, 313-494-4979 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
2020 Michigan 4-H State Shooting Sports Tournament. The State Shoot will be held in August. Dates for the 2020 event will be announced soon.
- For Discipline Rules, please see Tournament Rules page.
- T-shirts will be for sale on site in a variety of sizes, colors and styles that can be custom made for you! Be sure to check it out!
- Volunteers needed! Help is needed months prior and during the event. Contact Laura Quist at email@example.com
The 2020 4-H Shooting Sports National Championships will be held June 23-28 in Grand Island, Nebraska at the Heartland Public Shooting Park. The event is hosted by Nebraska 4-H. 4-H youth from across the country will compete in compound archery, recurve archery, air rifle, air pistol, .22 rifle, .22 pistol, shotgun, muzzleloading, and hunting skills. Michigan’s delegation includes 2 members – please join me in congratulating 4-H members Jackson Sokel (Monroe County), competing in Shotgun, and Joseph Balkema (Kalamazoo County) competing in Compound Archery. Please join me in supporting these 2 4-H members as they head into this wonderful experience this summer. Event details are found at the event website: 4-H Shooting Sports National Championships .
2020 National 4-H Shooting Sports Championship Team Application. June 21-26, 2020. Grand Island, NE
APPLICATION DEADLINE: extended. Due Now.
NEW accelerated timeline! To give participants more time for preparation, team-building, and fundraising activities, the timeline for application and notification of this event has been adjusted. We anticipate this change will provide 10 months of preparation time to our participants. Apply here: https://events.anr.msu.edu/SS_Nationals/ or contact Laura Quist firstname.lastname@example.org.
Support 4-H Shooting Sports
Partners include organizations wanting to expand youth development through conservation education such as hunting and shooting sports, and sportsman’s clubs willing to share their space with local groups.
Assistance from individuals or organizations is welcome and critical to our mission. To donate, please contact the Michigan 4-H Youth Foundation. The following organizations have provided crucial funding support to youth shooting sports programs so they remain accessible to all youth in Michigan:
- National Wild Turkey Federation
- Michigan Chapter of the NWTF
- The Federal Cartridge Company
- Michigan 4-H Foundation; 4-H Shooting Sports Endowment Fund
- MSU Extension 4-H Youth Development
For the latest news, follow and LIKE Michigan 4-H Shooting Sports on Facebook!
For more information on how to get involved as a youth or volunteer, contact your county MSU Extension office or:
Michigan State University Extension
401 N Lake St # 400
Cadillac, MI 49601