Soil Sampling Instructions
- Using a soil probe, spade, or trowel, and a clean plastic pail, sample in a zigzag fashion throughout a uniform area.
- Take a representative sampling of the soil in the area you are testing, 15-20 subsamples.
- Sampling depths are as follows:
- Field Soils - 8 inches
- Garden Soils - 6 to 8 inches
- Lawn - 3 inches below turf
- Combine all samples into the plastic pail and mix thoroughly. Fill a soil sample box with the sample, or package about a pint of soil.
- Fill out an information form and send it in with the soil sample to the soil testing lab.
Please see "Sampling Soils for Fertilizer and Lime Recommendations" by Darryl D.Warncke, available at your county MSU Extension office.