Life of the Straits: Inland Waterway
July 16, 2020
The Inland Waterway cuts across the Northern Lower Peninsula of Michigan connecting Lakes Michigan and Huron. A large portion of the waterway is in the Cheboygan watershed, the largest watershed that drains into the Straits of Mackinac. Ride along with us as we pass through artesian springs, water elevators and more! We wrap up the episode with a fun Q&A with Leigh Ann, who used to work for one of the locks on the Inland Waterway, and an exciting watershed activity you can do at home!
For more exploration, check out these great sites!
- Fishweb map and videos of the inland waterway: http://www.fishweb.com/maps/inlandwater/
- Indian River Chamber of Commerce waterway website: https://irchamber.com/our-community/inland-waterway-michigan/
- Cheboygan Area Trailways waterway website: https://cheboygantrailways.com/inland-waterway
- Watershed Activity: https://pbskids.org/plumlanding/educators/activities/build_a_watershed_ed.html
- MI Watershed Overview and Activity: https://www.michiganseagrant.org/lessons/lessons/by-broad-concept/earth-science/exploring-watersheds/