Relief may be available for hop growers with storm damage

Growers who experienced storm damage are encouraged to contact the Farm Service Agency.

On Aug. 2, 2015, a major storm system moved through Michigan with wind gusts above 70 miles per hour and over an inch of rainfall in many locations. Hop growers are reporting crop damage in the form of broken strings and bines on the ground, as well as damage to the permanent trellis structure. It is unclear at this time what the extent of the damage will be.

Growers with significant damage are encouraged to contact their local Farm Service Agency (FSA) office or the Grand Traverse FSA office at 231-941-0951 ext. 2. The FSA is a division of the U.S. Department of Agriculture and has a number of programs that offer disaster relief. Growers enrolled in the Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program (NAP) program and who had damage to their hopyards are also encouraged to contact their local FSA office to report it now. 

Did you find this article useful?