Nutrition & Food Safety
Michigan State University Extension offers free nutrition education to those that qualify. Topics covered in classes include “My Plate”, label reading, food safety, healthy snacks, basic nutrition and shopping smartly. Our nutrition instructor teaches in a variety of settings with individuals across the lifespan, from preschoolers to older adults.
Agencies and Organizations can use the Agency “Client Referral” Form in referring clients to MSU Extension nutrition education classes. Form is confidential and should be faxed or emailed.
For more information on nutrition education or to make a referral please contact:
Phone: (989) 354-9883 Fax: (989) 354-9898
Activities Throughout the Year
Apple Crunch Day
- Michigan Fresh Fact Sheets - MSU Extension Michigan Fresh educational program helps people explore our state’s bounty of fresh, locally grown fruits, vegetables, flowers and ornamentals.
- Michigan Cottage Food Law On-line Training Thinking of starting a business? This website will take you to the MSU Extension Bookstore, which will give you more of a description for this on-line training.
Food Safety & Preservation Resources
- USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline: 1-800-535-4555. This hotline is staffed by food safety specialists. The “real person” hotline is available from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Eastern time on weekdays year round. You can also choose from an extensive menu of recorded food safety messages 24 hours a day.
- Preserving Food Safely Videos on DVD
- So Easy to Preserve Book (5th edition);University of Georgia Cooperative Extension
- Complete Guide to Home Canning (USDA)
- Michigan Department of Agriculture
- Michigan Product Center online or call 517-432-8750