Policies and Services

Extended Absences

The Department of Animal Science recognizes and supports learning outside the classroom and the value of field trips to support curricular and co-curricular activities. However, the value of the experience must be weighed against the academic cost of missing academic work. The primary target audience for these guidelines is students with extended absence from class. The Department of Animal Science does not encourage extended absence from class! Generally, it is judging livestock or co-curricular activities associated with exhibiting livestock that cause students to have extended absence from class. Instructors, coaches for judging teams, and barn managers must follow these guidelines closely.

The guidelines below are intended to inform students about the departmental position on the benefits of co-curricular activities and impact of missing class on academic performance. Students should understand the procedure their supervisor must follow to enhance the communication with faculty teaching their courses. The concept is to insure that absence from class does not jeopardize academic success of students.

Definition of Extended Absence and Abbreviated Guidelines

An extended period is when a student is absent from class for more than three weekdays. This duration of absence is viewed as a situation that could risk academic welfare and longevity of students.

Any voluntary extended absence from class must be reviewed by the Coordinator of Undergraduate Programs in the Department. This review will establish the academic status of the student before the extended absence. If any student feels they are pressured to miss class, they should appeal directly to the Coordinator of ANS Undergraduate Programs. Students who have any questions or concerns about these guidelines should discuss them with the Coordinator of ANS Undergraduate Programs.

Complete guidelines and policy should be available from coaches, barn managers, or Tracy Rich.

Contact: Dr. Karen Waite, Coordinator of ANS Undergraduate Programs

Special Services Requests

Persons with disabilities may request accommodations for Animal Science classes by contacting MSU’s Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities (RCPD). The office works with students one-on-one to understand concerns, challenges, and opportunities. The confidential process connects students with a Disability Specialist who works to build a collaborative working relationship through an individualized needs assessment. Upon conclusion of the needs assessment, students receive a Verified Individualized Services and Accommodations (VISA) form that describes needs and facilitates communication with faculty and other campus programs.

RCPD may be contacted via email, phone, or office visit. It is important to identify and register a disability to receive individual needs assessments, services and accommodations from RCPD. Students, faculty, and staff should register at RCPD’s website.

Assistance: Tracy Rich