4-H Capitol Experience Virtual Day
Sunday, March 20, 2022
4-H Capitol Experience In-Person* Day at the Capitol
Wednesday, March 23, 2022
10:30 a.m.- 5:30 p.m.
(*options to join sessions virtually)Participants are expected to attend BOTH sessions.
Youth in 9th grade through age 19 are invited to attend the 4-H Capitol Experience. You do not need to be a member of 4-H in order to attend the event, but all participants will be asked to enroll in 4-H Online upon completing their event registration.
Youth registrants will select an issue group according to their interests, which will be led by a teen facilitator. Issue groups will provide a space for youth to meet peers from across the state while talking about their ideas and what they learned. Youth will:
- Meet elected officials
- Hear from experts in policy representing a broad range of careers
- Hear from young people who have made a difference in their communities
- Discuss hot topics important to youth.
The 2022 registration fees will be $20, and include a conference kit (mailed to virtual participants) and lunch and snacks for in-person attendees. Please contact your local 4-H Program Coordinator or local 4-H office to inquire about local funding opportunities. Scholarships may also be available through your local Farm Bureau office.
Discounted hotel rooms are available for families interested in extending their stay in conjunction with the event. Youth traveling three or more hours to attend will be offered a scholarship to off-set the cost of hotel rooms, applied at check-out. See event registration for more information. Group discounts may be available, contact Jackie for more information.
Make your hotel reservations directly through the Lansing Radisson Hotel here no later than March 1.
Each issue group will be facilitated by a teen steering committee member supported by an MSU Extension staff person. Issue groups will serve as networking and learning groups throughout the event. Participants can choose from:
- Civil Rights
- Environment and Natural Resources
- Health and Human Services
- Jobs and Economy
- Law Enforcement and Corrections
- Technology and Energy
Plan to join us for BOTH sessions!
Sunday, March 20, 1:30-5:30 p.m. via Zoom
- 1:30 p.m. Welcome and Orientation
- 1:45 p.m. Meet Your Issue Group
- 2:15 p.m. Careers in Public Policy Panel Discussion
- 2:45 p.m. Break
- 3:00 p.m. Hot Topic Discussions with Your Issue Group
- 4:00 p.m. Break
- 4:15 p.m. Expert Discussions with Your Issue Group
- 5:00 p.m. Wrap Up and What to Expect for Wednesday
Wednesday, March 23, 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m. @ Lansing Radisson Hotel
*Denotes Virtual Option Available
- 10 a.m. Parent/Guardian Drop-Off and Check-In
- 10:30 a.m. *Welcome & Icebreakers
- 11:30 a.m. Lunch
- 12:00 p.m. Walk to the Capitol
- 12:15-3:30 p.m. *Schedule Varies by Issue Group (capitol tour, visits with legislators/staff, observe government in action!)
- 3:30 p.m. Return to Radisson and *Prep for Legislative Reception
- 4:00 p.m. Legislative Reception (*Program begins at 4:15)
- 5:00 p.m. *Reflection and Evaluation
- 5:30 p.m. Parent/Guardian Pick-Up
Follow 4-H Capitol Experience on Facebook
Jackie Martin, 4-H Educator