Nutrition & Food Safety
Michigan State University Extension offers free nutrition education to those that qualify. Topics covered in classes include “My Plate”, label reading, food safety, healthy snacks, basic nutrition and shopping smartly. Our nutrition instructor teaches in a variety of settings with individuals across the lifespan, from preschoolers to older adults.
For more information on nutrition education or to make a referral please contact:
Phone: (989) 354-9883
Activities Throughout the Year
Apple Crunch Day
- Michigan Fresh Fact Sheets - MSU Extension Michigan Fresh educational program helps people explore our state’s bounty of fresh, locally grown fruits, vegetables, flowers and ornamentals.
Food Safety & Preservation Resources
- USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline: 1-800-535-4555. This hotline is staffed by food safety specialists. The “real person” hotline is available from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Eastern time on weekdays year round. You can also choose from an extensive menu of recorded food safety messages 24 hours a day.
- So Easy to Preserve Book (5th edition);University of Georgia Cooperative Extension
- Complete Guide to Home Canning (USDA)
- Michigan Department of Agriculture
- Michigan Product Center online or call 517-432-8750