Intercultural CANR is a college initiative involving a series of events hosted by the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (ODEI) as a way to make space and explore aspects of our identities that are talked about less in our conversations about inclusion.
In the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources (CANR), we are committed to the idea that our best work, our best science, and our best selves emerge when we learn about one another’s perspectives, and engage across all of our differences. You Belong Here!
As scientists, scholars, students and professionals in the CANR community, we will dig deeper to make room for the respectful and rich conversation these topics provide.
- Intercultural CANR: Exploring & Celebrating Global Perspectives (March 18-19, 2021)
- Intercultural CANR: Exploring our Spirit (March 14-15, 2019)
Exploring & Celebrating Global Perspectives
The Intercultural CANR: Global Perspectives events will build knowledge within the CANR community about the breadth of international work being done and how the multicultural identities of the researchers are deepening the academic conversation in all of our disciplines.
This online event will focus on the variety of perspectives CANR scholars bring to the work we do based on our individual relationships with nations around the world. The 2021 focus aims to address questions, including:
- How do the cultural norms we were raised with affect the way we do our work?
- Where does geopolitics and history overlap with laboratory and field science?
- What do we need to know to build an inclusive community that encompasses everyone?
- What can we learn about U.S. culture from colleagues who were raised in another culture?
These online events will give the CANR community knowledge and tools to support creating environments that are more inclusive to students, faculty and staff from a variety of backgrounds, as well as build relationships with scholars who can provide underrepresented global perspectives on the climate and DEI priorities of the college.
- Intercultural CANR: Exploring: Global Perspectives: 9–11 a.m. (nominated and self-nominated employee participants from CANR)
- Intercultural CANR: Celebrating Global Perspectives: 11 a.m.–12 p.m. (open to CANR, MSU and the public)