Join Eaton County 4-H
NOTE: All 4-H programs are following the MSU Community Compact, CDC guidelines, and list for approved 4-H activities.
Interested in joining Eaton County 4-H? Well, you've come to the right place! 4-H programs are open to youth ages 5-19 (as of January 1) and cover a wide variety of interests. Our 5-7 year old members are considered Cloverbuds and focus more on fun and exploration of various projects, while older youth can participate and compete in the whole array of projects offered.
Steps for joining as a youth member:
- Look through the club directory and find a club or two that fit your needs (think about project interests and location). These are clubs that meet on a long-term, year-round basis. Short term clubs (8 weeks or less), 4-H camps, and other events can be found on our 4-H Events Calendar and on our Facebook page as availability varies throughout the year. NEW: 4-H has many virtual programs that are available statewide that you can participate in! Find information about these experiences through our social media channels and/or our 4-H Newsletter.
- Contact the club leader(s) to inquire about how to join and get club-specific information such as meeting schedule and location, member expectations and club fees. If you are interested in a short term opportunity, please contact the person listed for that opportunity or contact Kristy Oosterhouse, 4-H Program Coordinator, at email@example.com.
- Once you have spoken to the club leader(s) and identified a club to join, enroll in 4HOnline. Information about 4HOnline and the link to sign up can be found here.
- Pay your annual $20 4-H participation fee to the club leader or the Extension office. Scholarships are available by submitting the Scholarship Form to the Extension office. For September 1, 2020 - August 31, 2021, the 4-H Participation Fee is waived for all youth. Clubs and individual 4-H experiences may still charge a club due or registration fee.
- Youth and volunteers can join 4-H at any time throughout the program year (September 1 - August 31) depending on the club or experience you wish to participate in. Some experiences and clubs may have deadlines that occur throughout the year, so please pay attention to the experience you wish to participate in so that you are signed up in time. A common deadline is for members that wish to exhibit at the Eaton County Fair as a 4-H member, which is March 15.
A little lost with all the options in 4-H? Check out our Welcome Packet for New Families or contact 4-H staff!
Steps for joining as a volunteer:
- Contact the club you wish to join as a volunteer or contact the Extension office for volunteer opportunities.
- Complete the Volunteer Selection Process, including being accepted as an Extension volunteer.
Need assistance with this process? Please contact Kristy Oosterhouse, 4-H Program Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or the Extension office at 517-543-2310.