Ag & Natural Resources
Upcoming Agriculture Events
Pesticide Certification Testing Dates for Montcalm and Newaygo Counties
To register for Pesticide Certification Testing anywhere in the State of Michigan, please go to the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development website: https://secure1.state.mi.us/OPES/Welcome.aspx
MSU Soil Testing
The fees listed below are the cost from the MSU Montcalm Extension office.
- Standard Soil Test Boxes - $12 per sample
Complete Soil Test Boxes - $19 per sample
- Test includes: pH, lime requirement, potassium, calcium and magnesium.
- Test includes: pH, lime requirement, potassium, calcium, magnesium and the micro-nutrients - zinc and manganese.
Here is a link to a good article stating why Fall soil testing is a good idea.
Lawn and Garden Testing:
- Lawn and Garden Testing Kits include Pre-paid Postage Envelopes - $25 per sample
- Test can be purchased either from the MSU Montcalm Extension office or by going online to order them at http://shop.msu.edu/searchresults.asp?Search=Garden+Soil+Test&Submit=Submit
- Test includes: pH, lime requirement, potassium, calcium, and magnesium.
For more information please follow this link to the MSU Soil and Plant Nutrient Laboratory website. http://www.spnl.msu.edu
MSU Diagnostic Testing
- Insect, Plant, and Nematode Testing
We assist a wide variety of people experiencing problems with plants and pests. There are many things that cause plant problems. Our laboratory specializes in diagnosing problems caused by arthropods (insects, mites, ticks, etc.), pathogens (fungi, bacteria, viruses), and nematodes.
Here are some of the samples we accept for diagnosis:
- Plants or plant parts for insect, pathogen and nematode analysis
- Insects, mites, ticks, spiders and other arthropods for identification
- Soil and tissue samples for nematode analysis
- Weeds and plants for identification
Samples may be submitted to the lab by mail or you can drop samples off at our facility. We will analyze the sample for a nominal fee and provide a diagnosis or identification of the problem as well as recommendations for control.
For more information and testing prices, please follow this link to the MSU Diagnostic Laboratory website: http://www.pestid.msu.edu
MSU Variety Trials
For the most up-to-date MSU Variety Trial results for corn, soybeans, wheat and forage crops; please follow this link: http://www.varietytrials.msu.edu