Course on regulation of alcoholic beverages offered only every other year

Enroll now to secure your spot in IFLR's course "Wine, Beer, and Spirits Laws and Regulations." Class begins on January 10. It will not be offered again until January 2024.

Cluster of wine, beer, and cocktail bottles and glasses.

Kris DeAngelo, IFLR faculty, attorney, and online education specialist, has rewritten the course Wine, Beer, and Sprits Laws and Regulations for January 2022. Class begins January 10, and will not be offered again until January of 2024.

The emphasis of this course will be on federal laws, specifically regulation by the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau. An example course outline is listed below. DeAngelo will be joined by Martin McNeese for a module on US regulations related to the import/export of alcoholic beverages. McNeese is a US Licensed Customs Broker with a US Treasury Department license since 1999, and is a Certified Customs Specialist through the US National Customs and Freight Forwarders Association (NCBFAA).

Some of the topics covered include:

  • Introduction to Alcohol Law
  • Agency Jurisdiction
  • Defining Wine, Malt Beverages and Spirits
  • Labeling and Advertising
  • Formulation, Production, and Distribution
  • Adulteration
  • Food Safety Regulation
  • Additives
  • Licenses
  • Formulation, Production, and Distribution
  • Taxation
  • Importation and Exportation
  • Compliance/Inspections
  • Government Enforcement
  • Private Actions

The course begins January 10, 2022 and is only offered every other year. This is a 3-credit graduate level course through Michigan State University. Tuition for this course is $3,141.75. Tuition for Michigan residents is $2,451.75. Tuition normally increases a little with each academic year.Enrollment is fast and easy through MSU Lifelong Education. MSU’s Lifelong Education Program requires no application fee, no college transcripts, and no entrance exam.

Students can also audit the course for $1,750.00 (but will not earn academic credit or work towards a certificate or degree). Enroll under this not-for-academic credit status here.

Most IFLR students work full time for food companies or regulators, and take one online course at a time to further their professional development.  Students may take as few or as many courses as they desire, and may earn a Certificate in International or United States food law after completing twelve qualifying credits (usually four courses).

Did you find this article useful?