Mindfulness A to Z book helps children practice mindfulness, supports social emotional health
MSU Extension’s “Mindfulness A to Z: An Alphabet for Fun and Calming Activities” can help you and your child practice mindfulness.
Mindfulness can be a powerful tool for children. It can help with focus, easing anxiety or worry, and managing stress. Mindfulness practice has shown to help children build skills for social awareness, self-management, strong relationships and decision-making.
“Mindfulness A to Z: An Alphabet for Fun and Calming Activities,” developed by Michigan State University Extension, will introduce your child to 26 mindfulness activities to help support their social emotional health and help them practice mindfulness. These activities will take children ages 3 to 12 from A (alpaca breathing) to Z (zipper stretches) with mindfulness techniques like meditations, stretches and breathing exercises. Children will learn to use the activities to slow down, calm down and relax so they can focus and feel better.
These 26 mindfulness activities are also available as activity cards. You can shuffle the cards and pick one to try or you can start with A and stop at Z. You choose! The only rule to remember is to have fun!
Using the book and activity cards
- Transitioning from one activity to another.
- Trying to work through a strong emotion.
- Feeling overwhelmed.
- Having trouble focusing.
- Going through a daily routine like nap time or waking up.
Purchasing the book and activity cards
The Mindfulness A to Z: An Alphabet of Fun and Calming Activities book and activity cards are for sale in the MSU Bookstore. Check out the links below to get your copy today.
- Mindfulness A to Z: An Alphabet of Fun and Calming Activities Book
- Mindfulness A to Z: An Alphabet of Fun and Calming Activities Activity Cards
Mindfulness practice resources
Check out these additional resources from MSU Extension to build mindfulness practices with your children.
- Starting a Mindfulness Practice with Your Child
- Heads In, Hearts In: Early Childhood Social Emotional Health Activities
- Heads In, Hearts In Mindfulness Activities
- Facebook Family Meditations
- Facebook Family Yoga Sessions
- Mindful Moments Videos
- MSU Extension's Mindful Mondays Webpage
For more articles on child development, academic success, parenting and life skill development, please visit the Michigan State University Extension website.