Tips for completing a successful State 4-H Award application
The deadline is near for the Michigan State 4-H Awards program. Do you have everything in order?
A Michigan State 4-H Award is the highest honor a 4-H member or group can receive. The deadline to submit an application for this award is Feb. 1, 2017. Below are some helpful tips for teens and volunteers or staff working with members who are applying for a State 4-H Award.
Tips for success
- Read and review the State 4-H Award Instructions and Overview Guide. This gives specific directions on the kind of font, size and all the items that need to be included in your application. Don’t forget your headshot photo.
- Select a project area you have excelled in while in 4-H. Also, think about a project where you have had some deep learning and experience that helped you develop into the person you are today.
- Provide real life examples and situations that can help you justify why you feel you have learned a certain skill or why you felt the experience changed you. Don’t be too broad or general in your answers.
- Review the Evaluation Form found in the State 4-H Award Instructions and Overview Guide. Make sure each part of the award complies with what you are being evaluated on.
- Grammar, neatness and spelling are important, no matter what type of award, paper or application you are turning in. Make sure you re-read and have other people read and proof it as well.
- Turn it in before the deadline. Don’t wait until the last second to turn it in. Sometimes we have internet problems or something might come up. It never hurts to turn it in early.
Did you find this article useful?