Julie Cotton, M.S.
Department of Plant, Soil and Microbial Sciences
Program Coordinator, Instructor, and Advisor for Sustainable Agriculture and Food Systems and Ecological Food and Farming Systems programs
1066 Bogue St. Room A264
East Lansing, MI 48824
B.S., Texas A&M University, Bioenvironmental Science
M.S., University of Michigan, Natural Resources and Environment
General areas of expertise:
- Sustainable Agriculture Education - experiential methods, community engagement, and interdisciplinary collaboration
- Agroecology, Urban Ecology - matrix and entomological methods
Overview of current program:
I coordinate, advise and teach with the Sustainable Agriculture and Food Systems undergraduate minor, and the Ecological Food and Farming Systems graduate specialization. While the programs are based in Plant, Soil and Microbial Sciences, we include academic content from eight contributing departments. We create an engaged learning environment that helps students locate their interests in the social and economic context of the food system, while ensuring agricultural literacy and a strong understanding of biological concepts associated with agriculture practices.
- Philpott, S. M., Cotton, J., Bichier, P., Friedrich, R. L., Moorhead, L. C., Uno, S., & Valdez, M. (2013). Local and landscape drivers of arthropod abundance, richness, and trophic composition in urban habitats. Urban Ecosystems, 1-20.
- Niewolny, K., Grossman, J., Byker, C., Helms, J., Clark, S., Cotton, J., & Jacobsen, K. (2012). Sustainable agriculture education and civic engagement: The significance of community-university partnerships in the new agricultural paradigm. Journal of agriculture, food systems, and community development, 2(3), 27-42.
- Uno, S., Cotton, J., & Philpott, S. M. (2010). Diversity, abundance, and species composition of ants in urban green spaces. Urban Ecosystems, 13(4), 425-441.
- Cotton, J. A. (2009). A Study of Beetle Biodiversity in the Forests, Gardens, and Vacant Lots of Detroit (Masters thesis, University of Michigan).
- CSS/ESA/HRT/ANS 124: Introduction to Sustainable Agriculture and Food Systems
- CSS/ESA/HRT/ANS 224: Sustainable Farm and Food Systems Field Studies
- CSS/ESA/HRT/ANS 424: Sustainable Agriculture and Food Systems: Integration and Synthesis
- HRT 491: Select Topics in Horticulture: Urban Agriculture
- CSS/ACR 892B: Ecological Food and Farming Systems Graduate Seminar
Websites of Interest:
- Sustainable Agriculture and Food Systems undergraduate minor
- Ecological Food and Farming Systems graduate specialization
- MSU Student Slow Food Club (Adviser)
- Sustainable Agriculture Education Association (Past Chair)
Find us on Facebook:
- SAFS: http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Sustainable-Agriculture-Food-Systems-MSU-4811933
- EFFS: http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Ecological-Food-Farming-Systems-MSU-4826750
I manage the following MSU listservs. Click the links (List Serv's Name) below to sign up!