Eric Patterson, Ph.D.
Overview of current program:
Dr. Patterson's research program utilizes the most current techniques in genomics to understand the structure and plasticity of weedy genomes and how that plasticity influences the success of weedy species. We are especially interested in how genome rearrangements (i.e. transposable elements and copy number variation) form and are utilized as novel sources of genetic variation for weed adaptation to abiotic stresses. We also work on herbicides and how they affect plant physiology and how resistance evolves on rapid timescales in weedy species. Finally, Dr. Patterson provides technical support for the efforts of the International Weed Genomes Consortium (IWGC).
- CSS326 - Weed Science, Every Fall
- CSS893 - Special Topic: Molecular Resistance Evolution
Professional Affiliations and Awards:
- International Weed Genomes Consortium
- Weed Science Society of America
- North Central Weed Science Society
- Eric L Patterson, Christopher A Saski, Daniel B Sloan, Patrick J Tranel, Philip Westra, Todd A Gaines. “The Draft Genome of Kochia scoparia and the Mechanism of Glyphosate Resistance via Transposon-Mediated EPSPS Tandem Gene Duplication.” Genome Biology and Evolution (2019) https://doi.org/10.1093/gbe/evz198
- Sarangi, Debalin, Trey Stephens, Abigail L. Barker, Eric L. Patterson, Todd A. Gaines, and Amit J. Jhala. "Protoporphyrinogen oxidase (PPO) inhibitor–resistant waterhemp (Amaranthus tuberculatus) from Nebraska is multiple herbicide resistant: confirmation, mechanism of resistance, and management." Weed Science 67, no. 5 (2019): 510-520.
- Takano, Hudson K., Eric L. Patterson, Scott J. Nissen, Franck E. Dayan, and Todd A. Gaines. "Predicting herbicide movement across semi-permeable membranes using three phase partitioning." Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology (2019).
- Gaines, Todd A., Eric L. Patterson, and Paul Neve. "Molecular mechanisms of adaptive evolution revealed by global selection for glyphosate resistance." New Phytologist (2019).
- Oliveira, Maxwel C., Todd A. Gaines, Eric L. Patterson, Amit J. Jhala, Suat Irmak, Keenan Amundsen, and Stevan Z. Knezevic. "Interspecific and intraspecific transference of metabolism‐based mesotrione resistance in dioecious weedy Amaranthus." The Plant Journal 96, no. 5 (2018): 1051-1063.
- Fleming, Margaret B., Eric L. Patterson, Patrick A. Reeves, Christopher M. Richards, Todd A. Gaines, and Christina Walters. "Exploring the fate of mRNA in aging Seeds: Protection, Destruction, or Slow Decay?." Journal of experimental botany (2018): DOI:10.1093/jxb/ery215.
- Karl Ravet, Eric L. Patterson, Hansjörg Krähmer, Kateřina Hamouzová, Longjiang Fan, Marie Jasieniuk, Amy Lawton‐Rauh et al. "The power and potential of genomics in weed biology and management." Pest management science 74, no. 10 (2018): 2216-2225.
- Küpper, Anita, Harish K. Manmathan, Darci Giacomini, Eric L. Patterson, William B. McCloskey, and Todd A. Gaines. "Population genetic structure in glyphosate-resistant and-susceptible Palmer amaranth (Amaranthus palmeri) populations using genotyping-by-sequencing (GBS)." Frontiers in Plant Science 9 (2018): 29. DOI: 10.3389/fpls.2018.00029
- Pettinga, Dean J., Junjun Ou, Eric L. Patterson, Mithila Jugulam, Philip Westra, and Todd A. Gaines. "Increased chalcone synthase (CHS) expression is associated with dicamba resistance in Kochia scoparia." Pest management science (2017). DOI:10.1002/ps.4778
- Eric L. Patterson, Dean J. Pettinga, Karl Ravet, Paul Neve, and Todd A. Gaines. "Glyphosate resistance and EPSPS gene duplication: Convergent evolution in multiple plant species." Journal of Heredity 1 (2017): 9. DOI: 10.1093/jhered/esx087
- Sarangi, Debalin, Andrew J. Tyre, Eric L. Patterson, Todd A. Gaines, Suat Irmak, Stevan Z. Knezevic, John L. Lindquist, and Amit J. Jhala. "Pollen-mediated gene flow from glyphosate-resistant common waterhemp (Amaranthus rudis Sauer): consequences for the dispersal of resistance genes." Scientific Reports 7 (2017): 44913. DOI: 10.1038/srep44913.
- Eric L. Patterson, Margaret B. Fleming, Kallie C. Kessler, Scott J. Nissen, and Todd A. Gaines. "A KASP Genotyping Method to Identify Northern Watermilfoil, Eurasian Watermilfoil, and Their Interspecific Hybrids." Frontiers in plant science 8 (2017). DOI: 10.3389/fpls.2017.00752.
- Sebastian, Derek J., Margaret B. Fleming, Eric L. Patterson, James R. Sebastian, and Scott J. Nissen. "Indaziflam: A New Cellulose Biosynthesis Inhibiting Herbicide Provides Long‐Term Control of Invasive Winter Annual Grasses." Pest Management Science (2017). DOI: 10.1002/ps.4594.
- Küpper, Anita, Ednaldo A. Borgato, Eric L. Patterson, Acácio Gonçalves Netto, Marcelo Nicolai, Saul JP de Carvalho, Scott J. Nissen, Todd A. Gaines, and Pedro J. Christoffoleti. "Multiple Resistance to Glyphosate and Acetolactate Synthase Inhibitors in Palmer Amaranth (Amaranthus palmeri) Identified in Brazil." Weed Science 65, no. 3 (2017): 317-326. DOI: 10.1017/wsc.2017.1.
- Oliveira, Maxwel C., Todd A. Gaines, Franck E. Dayan, Eric L. Patterson, Amit J. Jhala, and Stevan Z. Knezevic. "Reversing resistance to tembotrione in an Amaranthus tuberculatus (var. rudis) population from Nebraska, USA with cytochrome P450 inhibitors." Pest management science (2017). DOI: 10.1002/ps.4697.
- Brunharo, Caio ACG, Eric L. Patterson, Daniela R. Carrijo, Marcel SC de Melo, Marcelo Nicolai, Todd A. Gaines, Scott J. Nissen, and Pedro J. Christoffoleti. "Confirmation and mechanism of glyphosate resistance in tall windmill grass (Chloris elata) from Brazil." Pest management science 72, no. 9 (2016): 1758-1764. DOI: 10.1002/ps.4205.
- Gaines, Todd A., Abigail L. Barker, Eric L. Patterson, Philip Westra, Eric P. Westra, Robert G. Wilson, Prashant Jha, Vipan Kumar, and Andrew R. Kniss. "EPSPS Gene Copy Number and Whole-Plant Glyphosate Resistance Level in Kochia scoparia." PloS one 11, no. 12 (2016): e0168295. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0168295.
2022 status of herbicide-resistant weeds in Michigan
Published on September 10, 2022
Weed Genomes Cropping up at PSM
Published on January 17, 2022