Professor, environmental and natural resources economics, Panteion University, Athens, Greece
Bachelor's degree in economics from the National University of Greece, Athens.
Master's degree in regional development at the Regional Development Institute of Panteion University, Athens. Dissertation: “Environmental Economics: Theory and Application”
Ph.D. studies at Free University, Amsterdam and Panteion University, Athens. Thesis: “Ecologically Sustainable Economic Development: Theory -- Modeling”
Post-graduate studies in environmental economics and decision-making methodologies at the Free University, Department of Regional and Environmental Economics, Amsterdam, under the supervision of Prof. Peter Nijkamp. Dissertation: “Sustainable development policy on the basis of the multi-criteria analysis”
Kostas Bithas, who also is on faculty of the Institute of Urban Environment and Human Resources (www.uehr.gr) and part of a research team on Environmental Economics and Sustainable Development (www.eesd.gr), has expertise in:
- Sustainable Development
- Ecological Economics
- Natural Resources Economics
- Environmental - Economic modeling
- Environmental impact assessment
- Transport Economics
- Decision making
Among his recent publications:
- K. Bithas, 2008. The sustainable Residential Water Use: Sustainability, Efficiency and Social Equity. The European Experience, Ecological Economics 68, pp. 221-229.
- K. Bithas, 2008.The European Policy on Water Use at the Urban level in the context of Water Framework Directive. Effectiveness, Appropriateness and Efficiency, European Planning Studies 16 (9), pp.1293-1311.
- S. Xenarios, K. Bithas, 2009. Welfare Improvisation from the Receiving Waters of Urban Wastewater Systems in the Context of the Water Framework Directive, Water Resources Management 23 (5), pp. 981-1000, Doi:10.10007/s11269-008-9310-4.
- S. Xenarios, K. Bithas, 2009. Valuating the Receiving Waters of Urban Wastewater Systems through a Stakeholder-based Approach, Water Resources Development 25 (1), pp. 123-140, Doi:10.1016/j.desal.2006.02.093
- V. Markantonis, K Bithas, 2009. The application of the contingent valuation method in estimating the climate change mitigation and adaptation policies in Greece. An expert-based approach, Environment, Development and Sustainability 12 (50), pp. 807-824, DOI: 10.1007/s10668-009-9225-0.
- K. Bithas, 2011. Sustainability and externalities: Is the internalization of externalities a sufficient condition for sustainability? Ecological Economics 70 (10), pp. 1703-1706, Doi:10.1016/j.ecolecon.2011.05.014.
- Xenarios, S. and Bithas, K. (2012), The Use of Environmental Policy Instruments for Urban Wastewater Control: Evidence from an International Survey. Environmental Policy and Governance. doi: 10.1002/eet.596
- Bithas, K. and Kalimeris, P. 2013. Re-estimating the decoupling effect: Is there an actual transition towards a less energy-intensive economy? Energy, Vol, 51, pp. 78-84.
- G. Mavromati, K. Bithas, 2013. Ecologically Sustainable Economic Development in Aquatic Ecosystems. From Concepts to Policies. Sustainable Development , Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 60-72.
- Mavrommati, G., Bithas, K., Panayiotidis, P. 2013 Operationalizing sustainability in urban coastal systems: A system dynamics analysis. Water Research, 47 (20), pp. 7235-7250.
- Kalimeris, P., Richardson, C., Bithas, K. (2014) A meta-analysis investigation of the direction of the energy-GDP causal relationship: Implications for the growth-degrowth dialogue. Journal of Cleaner Production, 67, pp. 1-13.
A meta-analysis investigation of the direction of the energy-GDP causal relationship: implications for the growth-degrowth dialogue
Published on February 20, 2014
Published on November 12, 2013