288 Farm Lane Room 132
East Lansing, MI 48824
Larry Olsen retired from MSU in May 2016.
My work on pesticide exposure to seed corn detasslers and blueberry harvesters has resulted in publications, Extension talks and papers in the EPA docket that assisted them in making re-registration decisions. Our IPM survey of tree fruit growers revealed that growers saved over $1.7 million in pesticide costs, and increased quality and quantity of produce by using IPM models in the Enviro-weather system.
As Pesticide Education Coordinator from 1991-1994 I had responsibility for teaching ENT 477, "Pest Management: Pesticides in Managed Systems". I also guest lectured in various other classes. When coming back to the Department in 2000 I was the coordinator of the "Professional Masters in IPM "program. During the Spring Semesters of 2001, 2003 and 2005 I taught ENT 812 Section 602 "IPM Decision Making" Graduate Seminar with 4, 6 and 2 students. I have had no teaching responsibilities since that time.
My Extension role was as Administrator, Coordinator or Director for several programs, including IPM, Pesticide Safety Education, Enviro-weather and North Central IPM Center. I served as Associate Chair of the Dept. for four years.
- Pesticide Safety
- IPM impacts
- Integrated Pest Management
- Pesticide Safety Education Program
- North Central IPM Center
- 2006-2016 - Professor, Dept. of Entomology, Michigan State University
- 2006-2009 - MSU extension Agriculture Sate Program Leader, College Agriculture and natural Resources, Michigan State University
- 2010-2013 - Professor Associate Chair, Dept. of Entomology, Michigan State University
- 2000-2005 - Associate Professor, Department of Entomology, Michigan State University
- 1997-1999 - Interim Assoc. Director of MSU Extension and Mich. Ag. Exper. Station, College of Ag. And Natural Resources, Michigan State University
- 1988-1997 - Associate Professor, Department of Entomology, Michigan State University
- 1981-1988 - Field Research, Bayer CropSciences
- Olsen, L.G. “Category 7A ‘General Pest Management’ Pesticide Certification Exam Item Analysis”. Submitted to MDARD - PPPM, July 31, 2014.
- Olsen, L.G., IPM Coordinator Project GREEEN Operating Fund report. May 6.
- Andresen, J., L.G. Olsen and B. Bishop. “Enviro-weather decision making tools for the grape and wine industries”. Report to the MGWIC Research and Education Committee. August 13, 2014.
- Olsen, L.G, and L. J. Jess. “MSU Contribution to the NC IPM Center”. Final report Oct 10, 2014.
- Olsen, L. G. “Evaluating Pesticide Use and Mitigating Pesticide Misuse to Reduce Environmental and Human Risk”, REEport Annual for Oct 1, 2013 - Sept 30, 2014. AD 421 Annual Report. Oct 16, 2014.
- Olsen, L.G. and J. Stone. “Contribution to Michigan’s Pesticide Certification and Training Program: 2013-14. Final Report submitted Oct 30, 2014.