Pablo Parra, Ph.D.
Ph.D. in Plant Pathology, Purdue University, 2019
B.S. Agricultural Engineering, Universidad Nacional de Colombia, 2011
My research interests are mycology, rapid and early diagnostic tools, invasive species, and management strategies of vascular pathogens. As part of the Forest Pathology Lab (Sakalidis’ Lab), my research is focused on the evaluation of alternatives for root disruption to stop underground spread of Bretziella fagacearum, the causal agent of Oak Wilt. Also, my research aims to refine the risk periods for the transmission of the OW-pathogen and to evaluate tree’s response to different inoculum levels with B. fagacearum.
- Ángel-Restrepo M, Ochoa-Ascencio S, Parra PP, Fernández-Pavía S, Vázquez-Marrufo G, Equihua-Martínez A, Barrientos-Priego AF, Ploetz RC, Konkol JL, Saucedo-Carabez JR, Gazis R. 2021. First look into the ambrosia beetle–fungus symbiosis present in commercial avocado orchards in Michoacán, México. in press.
- Parra PP, Dantes W, Sandford A, De la Torre C, Pérez J, Hadziabdic J, Schaffer B and Gazis 2020. A protocol for the rapid detection of the laurel wilt pathogen from woody samples. Published. Plant Health Progress.
- Gaviria J, Parra PP and Gonzales, A. 2020. Selection of strains of Beauveria bassiana and Metarhizium anisopliae (ASCOMYCOTA: HYPOCREALES) for endophytic colonization in coconut seedlings. Chilean Journal of Agricultural & Animal Sciences. 36(1): 3-13.
- Parra PP and Aime MC. 2019. New species of Bannoa described from the tropics and the first report of the genus in South America. Mycologia. 111:6, 953-964.
- Parra PP. 2017. Chapter section: Breeding for pest and disease resistance and Coconut clones, the next revolution? Bourdeix R and Prades A, compilers. A global strategy for the conservation and uses of coconut genetic resources 2018-2028. COGENT. Bioversity International, Montpellier, France.
- Ide T, Kanzaki N, Parra PP and Giblin-Davis RM. 2017. Loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) for detection of the red ring nematode, Bursaphelenchus cocophilus. 19:5.
- Silva A, Parra PP, Campos V, Costa S, Vicente C, Ferreira L, Souza R, Mota M. 2016. Genetic diversity of Bursaphelenchus cocophilus in South America. Nematology. 18:605-614.
- Loehr B and Parra PP. 2014. Trapping guide: Capture of the black palm weevil Rhynchophorus palmarum with pheromone baited traps adapted to small growers of the Colombian Pacific Coast. Digital ISBN 978-958-694-141-9.
- Parra PP and Gonzales A. 2011. In vitro methodology for assessment of Lulo (Solanum) germplasm under the pressure of Colletotrichum acutatum toxins. Journal of the Colombian Association of Phytopathology. Volume 35:2.37.