Timothy Miles, Ph.D
Department of Plant, Soil and Microbial Sciences
Assistant Professor / Extension Specialist
578 Wilson Road, 105 CIPS
East Lansing, MI 48824
Area of Expertise:
Small Fruit and Hop Pathology , Post-Harvest, Fungicide Resistance, Molecular Detection
- Follow on Google Scholar for a complete list of publications.
- Follow on Twitter to see current information and up to date extension.
- If you are interested in results from fungicide efficacy studies click here.
- Visit our website for information about the Small Fruit and Hop Pathology program at Michigan State University.
B.S., Western Michigan University, Biology
Ph.D., Michigan State University, Plant Pathology
General areas of expertise:
Focused on diseases of hops, blueberries, grapes and other berry crops. Topics of study currently include: mycology, genomics, population genetics, pathogen detection, molecular diagnostics and host resistance.
Recent publications (2018-present):
- Higgins, D., Hatlen, R., Byrne, J., Sakalidis, M., Miles, T.D., Hausbeck, M. 2020. Etiology of halo blight in Michigan hopyards. Plant Disease (accepted with revision).
- Higgins, D., Miles, T.D., Hausbeck, M. 2020. Fungicide efficacy against Pseudoperonospora humuli and assessment of point-mutations linked to carboxylic acid amide (CAA) resistance in Michigan. Plant Disease (accepted with revision).
- Miles, T.D., Hancock, J. 2020. Inheritance of resistance to anthracnose fruit rot caused by Colletotrichum acutatum in highbush blueberry. Int. J. Fruit Sci. (accept with revision).
- Wise, J., Miles, L.A., Acimovic, D., Vandervoort, C., Isaacs, R., Miles, T.D., Schilder, A.M.C. 2020. Sprayer type and water volume influence spatial patterns of pesticide deposition and control of diseases and insect pests of highbush blueberries. Int. J. Fruit Sci. (in press).
- Alzohairy, S.A., Gillett, J., Saito, S., Naegele, R., Xiao, C.L., Miles, T.D. 2020. Fungicide resistance profiles of Botrytis cinerea isolates from Michigan vineyards and development of a TaqMan assay for detection of fenhexamid resistance. Plant Disease (in First Look).
- Miles, T.D., Neill, T., Colle, M., Warneke, B., Robinson, G., Stergiopoulos, I., Mahaffee. 2020. Allele-specific detection methods for QoI fungicide resistant Erysiphe necator in vineyards. Plant Disease (in First Look).
- Purayannur, S., Miles, T.D., Gent, D.H., Pigg, S., Quesada-Ocampo, L.M. 2020. Hop downy mildew caused by Pseudoperonospora humuli: a diagnostic guide. Plant Health Progress 21:173–179.
- McCoy, A.G., Miles, T.D., Bilodeau, G.J., Woods, P., Blomquist, C., Martin, F.N., Chilvers, M.I. 2020. Validation of a preformulated, field deployable, recombinase polymerase amplification assay for Phytophthora species. Plants 9:466.
- Belise, R. J., McKee, B, Hao, W., Miles, T.D., Adaskaveg, J., Manosalva, P. 2019. Phenotypic characterization of genetically distinct Phytophthora cinnamomi isolates from avocado. Phytopathology 109:384-394.
- Crandall, S.G., Rahman, A., Quesada-Ocampo, L., Martin, F. Miles, T.D. 2018. Advances in diagnostics of downy mildews: lessons learned from other oomycetes and future challenges. Plant Dis. Feature Article 102:265-275.
- Hao, W., Miles, T.,D. Martin, F.N., Browne, G.T., Forster, H., Adaskaveg, J. 2018. Temporal occurrence and niche preferences of Phytophthora species causing brown rot of citrus in the Central Valley of California. Phytopathology 108:384-391.
- Miles, T.D., Glass, B.W., Sysak, R.W., Schilder, A.M.C. 2018. Post-plant strategies for management of black root rot-related decline of perennial strawberry fields. Crop Protection 104:78-85.
A complete list of peer reviewed publications is also available on my website here.