Timothy Miles, Ph.D
Department of Plant, Soil and Microbial Sciences
Assistant Professor - Extension Specialist for diseases of blueberries, grapes, hops and other berry crops.
Small Fruit and Hop Pathology Laboratory
578 Wilson Road, Room 105
East Lansing, MI 48824
Area of Expertise:
Small Fruit and Hop Pathology , Post-Harvest, Fungicide Resistance, Molecular Detection
B.S., Western Michigan University, Biology
Ph.D., Michigan State University, Plant Pathology
- Follow on Google Scholar for a complete list of publications.
- Follow on Twitter to see current information and up to date extension.
- If you are interested in results from fungicide efficacy studies click here.
- Visit our website for information about the Small Fruit and Hop Pathology program at Michigan State University.
General areas of expertise:
Focused on diseases of hops, blueberries, grapes and other berry crops. Topics of study currently include: mycology, genomics, population genetics, pathogen detection, molecular diagnostics and host resistance.
Recent publications (2018-present):
- Higgins, D., Miles, T.D., Hausbeck, M. 2020. Fungicide efficacy against Pseudoperonospora humuli and assessment of point-mutations linked to carboxylic acid amide (CAA) resistance in Michigan. Plant Disease (accepted with revision).
- Miles, T.D., Hancock, J. 2020. Inheritance of resistance to anthracnose fruit rot caused by Colletotrichum acutatum in highbush blueberry. Int. J. Fruit Sci. (accept with revision).
- Wise, J., Miles, L.A., Acimovic, D., Vandervoort, C., Isaacs, R., Miles, T.D., Schilder, A.M.C. 2020. Sprayer type and water volume influence spatial patterns of pesticide deposition and control of diseases and insect pests of highbush blueberries. Int. J. Fruit Sci. (in press).
- Higgins, D., Hatlen, R., Byrne, J., Sakalidis, M., Miles, T.D., Hausbeck, M. 2020. Etiology of halo blight in Michigan hopyards. Plant Disease (in First Look).
- Alzohairy, S.A., Gillett, J., Saito, S., Naegele, R., Xiao, C.L., Miles, T.D. 2020. Fungicide resistance profiles of Botrytis cinerea isolates from Michigan vineyards and development of a TaqMan assay for detection of fenhexamid resistance. Plant Disease (in First Look).
- Miles, T.D., Neill, T., Colle, M., Warneke, B., Robinson, G., Stergiopoulos, I., Mahaffee. 2020. Allele-specific detection methods for QoI fungicide resistant Erysiphe necator in vineyards. Plant Disease (in First Look).
- Purayannur, S., Miles, T.D., Gent, D.H., Pigg, S., Quesada-Ocampo, L.M. 2020. Hop downy mildew caused by Pseudoperonospora humuli: a diagnostic guide. Plant Health Progress 21:173–179.
- McCoy, A.G., Miles, T.D., Bilodeau, G.J., Woods, P., Blomquist, C., Martin, F.N., Chilvers, M.I. 2020. Validation of a preformulated, field deployable, recombinase polymerase amplification assay for Phytophthora species. Plants 9:466.
- Belise, R. J., McKee, B, Hao, W., Miles, T.D., Adaskaveg, J., Manosalva, P. 2019. Phenotypic characterization of genetically distinct Phytophthora cinnamomi isolates from avocado. Phytopathology 109:384-394.
- Crandall, S.G., Rahman, A., Quesada-Ocampo, L., Martin, F. Miles, T.D. 2018. Advances in diagnostics of downy mildews: lessons learned from other oomycetes and future challenges. Plant Dis. Feature Article 102:265-275.
- Hao, W., Miles, T.,D. Martin, F.N., Browne, G.T., Forster, H., Adaskaveg, J. 2018. Temporal occurrence and niche preferences of Phytophthora species causing brown rot of citrus in the Central Valley of California. Phytopathology 108:384-391.
- Miles, T.D., Glass, B.W., Sysak, R.W., Schilder, A.M.C. 2018. Post-plant strategies for management of black root rot-related decline of perennial strawberry fields. Crop Protection 104:78-85.
- Tsuchida, C.T., Mauzey, S. J., Hatlen, R., Miles, T.D., Koike, S.T. 2018. First report of Pythium root rot caused by Pythium mastophorum on Parsley in the United States. Plant Dis. 102: 1671.
- Shands, A.C., Crandall, S.G., Ho, T., Miles, T.D. 2018. First report of leaf rust on southern highbush blueberry caused by Thekopsora minima in California. Plant Dis. 102:1171.
- Shands, A.C., Crandall, S.G., Miles, T.D. 2018. First report of leaf rust on California blackberry (Rubus ursinus) caused by Kuehneola uredinis in California. Plant Dis. 102:682.
A complete list of peer reviewed publications is also available on my website here.