Timothy Miles, Ph.D.
- Follow on Google Scholar for a complete list of publications.
- Follow on Twitter to see current information and up to date extension.
- If you are interested in results from fungicide efficacy studies click here.
- Visit our website for information about the Small Fruit and Hop Pathology program at Michigan State University.
- Timothy Miles' CV
General areas of expertise:
Focused on diseases of hops, blueberries, grapes and other berry crops. Topics of study currently include: mycology, genomics, population genetics, pathogen detection, molecular diagnostics and host resistance.
Recent publications (2021-present):
- *Lowder, S., Neill, T., Peetz, A., Miles, T., Moyer, M., Oliver, C., Stergiopoulos, I., Shunping, D., Mahaffee, W. 2023. A rapid glove-based inoculum sampling technique to monitor Erysiphe necator in commercial vineyards. Plant Dis. (in First Look) (M)
- *Sharma, N.††, Neill, T., Yang, H-C., Oliver, C., Mahaffee, W., Naegele, R., Moyer, M., Miles, T. Development of a competitive PNA-LNA-LAMP assay to detect a SNP associated with QoI resistance in Erysiphe necator. Plant Dis. (in First Look). (M)
- *Shemanski, S.††, Longley, R., Hatlen††, R. J., Heger, L. ††, Sharma, N. ††, Bonito, G., Miles, T. The fungal blueberry fruit microbiome by varies tissue type and fungicide treatment. Phytobiomes. (in First Look). (M)
- *Neugebauer, K.†††, Gina, D.†, Miles, T. Models for apothecial emergence and ascospore discharge of Monilinia vaccinii-corymbosi in Michigan blueberry fields. Plant Health Progress. (in First Look). (M)
- *Alzohairy, S.A.†††, Heger, L.††., Nik Zainal Alam, N., Miles, T.D. Cross resistance of SDHIs in Botrytis cinerea and development of molecular diagnostic tools for SDHI resistance detection. Phytopathology. (in First Look) (M)
- *D’Arcangelo, K., Wallace, E., Miles, T., Quesada-Ocampo, L. 2023. Carboxylic acid amide but not Quinone outside inhibitor fungicide resistance mutations show clade-specific occurrence in Pseudoperonospora cubensis causing downy mildew in commercial and wild cucurbits. Phytopathology 113 80-89. (M)
- *Naegele, R., Abdelsamad, N., DeLong, J., Saito, S., Xiao, C., Miles, T. Fungicide resistance and host influence on population structure in Botrytis spp. from specialty crops in CA. Phytopathology 112 2549-2559. (M)
- *Higgins, D., Miles, T.D., Byrne, J., Hausbeck, M. 2022. Optimizing molecular detection for the hop downy mildew pathogen Pseudoperonospora humuli in plant tissue. Phytopathology. 112 2426-2439. (M)
- *Alvarez-Osorio, A.†, Miles, L., Miles, T. Mummy berry caused by Monilinia vaccinii-corymbosi: a diagnostic guide. Plant Health Progress. 23 362-368 (M)
- *Miles, T.D., Hancock, J. 2022. Inheritance of resistance to anthracnose fruit rot caused by Colletotrichum fioriniae in highbush blueberry. Int. J. Fruit Sci. 22:160-169. (M)
- *Stergiopoulos, I., Aoun, N., van Huynh, Q., Neill, T., Lowder, S., Newbold, C., Cooper, M., Ding, S., Moyer, M., Miles, T., Oliver, C., Urbez-Torres, J., Mahaffee, M. 2022. Identification of putative SDHI target-site mutations in the SDHB, SDHC, and SDHD subunits of the grape powdery mildew pathogen Erysiphe necator. Plant Dis. 106 2310-2320 (M)
- *Crandall, S.G., Spychalla, J., Crouch, U., Flor, A., Naegele, R.P., Miles, T.D. Rotting grapes don’t improve with age: cluster rot disease complexes, management and future prospects. Plant Disease Feature Article 106 2013-2025 (M)
- *Higgins, D., Miles, T.D., Hausbeck, M. 2021. Fungicide efficacy against Pseudoperonospora humuliand assessment of point-mutations linked to carboxylic acid amide (CAA) resistance in Michigan. Plant Dis. 105: 1880-1889. (M)
- *Purayannur, S., Gent, D.H., Miles, T.D., Radisek, S., Quesada-Ocampo, L.M. 2021. The hop downy mildew pathogen Pseudoperonospora humuli. Molecular Plant Pathology. 22 755-768 (M)
- *Naegele, R.P., Delong, J., Abdelsamad, N., Saito, S., Alzohairy, S.A. †††, Miles, T.D. Population genetic analyses of Botrytis cinerea isolates from Michigan vineyards using a high-throughput marker system approach. Frontiers in Microbiology 17: 705 (M)
- *Higgins, D., Hatlen, R.††, Byrne, J., Sakalidis, M., Miles, T.D., Hausbeck, M. 2021. Etiology of halo blight in Michigan hopyards. Plant Dis. 105 859-872. (M)
- *Oliver, C.L., Cooper, M.L., Lewis Ivey, M.L., Brannen, P.M., Miles, T.D., Mahaffee, W.F., Moyer, M. 2021. Assessing the United States grape industry’s understanding of fungicide resistance mitigation practices for grapevine powdery mildew (Erysiphe necator). American Journal of Enology and Viticulture. 72: 181-193 (M)
- *Salcedo, A., Purayannur, S., Standish, J.R., Miles, T.D., Thiessen, L., Quesada-Ocampo, L.M. 2021. Fantastic downy mildew pathogens and how to find them: Advances in detection and diagnostics. Plants. 10, 435 (M)
- *Alzohairy, S.A.†††, Gillett, J., Saito, S., Naegele, R., Xiao, C.L., Miles, T.D. Fungicide resistance profiles of Botrytis cinerea isolates from Michigan vineyards and development of a TaqMan assay for detection of fenhexamid resistance. Plant Dis. 105: 285-294. (M)
- *Miles, T.D., Neill, T., Colle, M.†††, Warneke, B., Robinson, G., Stergiopoulos, I., Mahaffee. 2021. Allele-specific detection methods for QoI fungicide resistant Erysiphe necatorin vineyards. Plant Dis. 105:175-182 (M)
- *Wise, J., Miles, L.A., Acimovic, D., Vandervoort, C., Isaacs, R., Miles, T.D., Schilder, A.M.C. 2020. Sprayer type and water volume influence spatial patterns of pesticide deposition and control of diseases and insect pests of highbush blueberries. Int. J. Fruit Sci. 20:1805-1818. (M)
A complete list of peer reviewed publications is also available on my website here.
Michigan grape scouting report – September 6, 2023
Published on September 6, 2023
Michigan grape scouting report – August 30, 2023
Published on August 30, 2023
Michigan Grape Facts: Managing Grapevine Downy Mildew
Published on August 24, 2023
Michigan grape scouting report – August 22, 2023
Published on August 22, 2023
Michigan grape scouting report – August 9, 2023
Published on August 9, 2023
Michigan Grape Scouting Report – August 2, 2023
Published on August 2, 2023
Blueberry Bites Newsletter
Published on July 14, 2023
Michigan grape scouting report – July 12, 2023
Published on July 12, 2023
Michigan grape scouting report – June 28, 2023
Published on June 29, 2023