Recipe: Stoplight Pepper and Bean Soup
This bean soup includes red, yellow, and green peppers.
Number of Servings: 32 1/2-cup portions
- 1 pound + 4 ounces Michigan dry navy beans
- 2 tablespoons low sodium chicken base
- 1 1/2 gallons + 3 quarts + 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons green chilies
- 2 cups diced ham
- 2 teaspoons no-salt seasoning
- 2 teaspoons tabasco sauce
- 2 quarts chopped or sliced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped green peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped red onions
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1-quart frozen corn
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
Wash and soak beans in three quarts of water overnight under refrigeration. Drain and discard water in the morning.
In a large stock pot, combine chicken base with 1½ gallons water and bring to a boil. Add green chilies, diced ham, seasoning, tabasco sauce, tomatoes, and beans.
On a baking sheet, mix peppers and onions with oil and roast for five minutes in a convection oven. Add roasted vegetables and two cups water to soup; stir to combine. Continue to simmer soup for a minimum of three hours to cook the beans until tender.
Add the frozen corn and cilantro. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes before serving.Recipe provided courtesy of Chef Dave McNamara Michigan Team Nutrition.