March 11, 2016
- Height: 50’ - 70’
- Spread: 40’ - 50’
- Site characteristics: Moist, well-drained soils; full sun
- Zone: 3 - 8
- Wet/dry: Tolerates soils from occasionally wet to dry
- Native range: Central United States
- pH: 6.8 - 7.2
- Shape: Irregular, open oval to obovate crown
- Foliage: Large, bipinnate (fern-like) compound leaves; blue-green in summer
- Other: “Dioecious”: male and female trees; fragrant (female only), greenish-white flowers; female trees produce reddish-brown seed pods that persist into winter and can be a problem; tree has winter interest with coarse, irregular branching.
- Additional: Tolerates alkaline soils, salt, wind and urban conditions (air pollution). Male cultivars: ‘Espresso’ and ‘J.C. McDaniels.’ Transplants easily.
- Pests: Relatively pest-free; female seed pods can become a litter problem
Print a PDF of this page: Kentucky Coffeetree