Picture of document.

Mortality Management After a Rollover Event


October 4, 2019 - Erica Rogers and <froncza3@msu.edu>,

Bodies of Dead Animals Act Information:

The Bodies of Dead Animals Act (BODA) outlines those options that are acceptable for mortality disposal in the state of Michigan (https://www.michigan.gov/mdard/0,4610,7-125-48096_48404---,00.html). These options include landfill, rendering, composting, burial, and incineration.


  1. Must be a Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE) licensed landfill
    1. List of EGLE landfills in the state of Michigan: https://www.michigan.gov/egle/0,9429,7-135-3312_4123-9894--,00.html
    2. Call ahead to see if landfill accepts dead animals


  1. Must be a state licensed renderer
    1. List of state licensed renderers in the state of Michigan: https://www.michigan.gov/mdard/0,4610,7-125-1569_16979_21265---,00.html


  1. Can occur on your own property or other property with permission as long as you are following the below composting procedures:
    1. Bodies of Dead Animals Rules - http://dmbinternet.state.mi.us/DMB/ORRDocs/AdminCode/1564_2015-059AC_AdminCode.pdf
    2. Michigan Animal Tissue Compost Operational Standard - https://www.michigan.gov/documents/mda/BODA_Composting_Operational_Standards_216592_7.pdf
  1. Can also occur at a registered composting facility
  2. List of registered composting facilities in the state of Michigan - https://www.michigan.gov/documents/deq/DEQ-WHMD-List_Registered_Compost_Sites_230193_7.pdf
  3. Call ahead to make sure composting facility accepts dead animals


  1. Can potentially occur on your own property or other property with permission as long as following the below requirements:
  2. Sites must not have contact with surface or ground water
  3. Sites must be 200 feet from wells


  1. Must be permitted by the Air Quality Division of EGLE
    1. Capacity could make this difficult if a large mortality event occurs
    2. No current online list of municipal waste incinerators


Other methods may be used with approval from the Director of the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development: https://www.michigan.gov/mdard/0,4610,7-125-1572_82358---,00.html



Accessibility Questions:

For questions about accessibility and/or if you need additional accommodations for a specific document, please send an email to ANR Communications & Marketing at anrcommunications@anr.msu.edu.