MSF 4-H & Youth Virtual Showcase: Youth Goats - Dept. 8DOWNLOAD FILE
August 11, 2020
Classes in this department will be evaluated based on videos and/or pictures. Videos should be no longer than 90 seconds and be continuous in nature with no narrative. The exhibitors should utilize the camera person as the judge, moving the animal away and around the camera person as they would in a show ring. The video should include all angles of the animal in order for a judge to make an evaluation. Exhibitor should be in the video at all times. Show clothes typical for industry is recommended. The following photos are recommended: one of exhibitor and project, a front view, back view, profile A and profile B. More information on how to take a good photo and video can be found at the MSU Extension Virtual Learning showcase and auction website. All videos must be uploaded to Youtube and link entered into the system. Youtube channel should be set to unlisted.
*** Please check and follow General Agriculture & Livestock Rules *
- ALL GOATS MUST HAVE REGISTRATION PAPERS. YOUTH’S NAME MUST APPEAR ON THE REGISTRATION PAPERS.
- All goats must be identified by registered breed tattoo accompanied by breed registration papers. All registration papers must match the tattoo of the animal.
- A Youth Exhibitor must be seven (8) years of age, but not over nineteen (19) years of age as of January 1 of the current year to participate in any youth animal class.
- OWNER IS THE EXHIBITOR. All entries must be made as the papers read. No signed transfers. Exhibitor must have ownership by July 1 of the current year. Limit of 10 head per farm or address. c) All registration papers must match the tattoos of the animal(s). d) Tampering and/or misrepresentation as to breeding, ownership and any other irregularity in showing will be considered fraud and deception. Any premiums, trophies or awards won by such exhibitor will be withheld.
- Animals must be in Youth’s (the exhibitor) name. All breeding goats must have registration papers. Photos of the registration paper (with transfer if necessary) must be submitted with entry. Youth’s name must be printed on the registration papers.
- The base date for computing the age of goats shall be the day the animal is judged.
- Each youth exhibitor will be permitted to enter a maximum of ten (10) goats and show a maximum of one (1) per class, except in championships.
- Youth exhibitors in this department are expected to observe the following dress regulations: White shirts or blouses with white, black, or khaki pants or skirts. Shorts are not proper attire for Goat exhibitors all will not be allowed in the ring.
- All Breeds, all does 2 years and older must have freshened.
RULES: There will be three age divisions for Showmanship: 8 – 11, 12 – 15, and 16 – 19 (Age as of January 1, of the current year).
- Exhibitors who own and show in a youth class are eligible for the showmanship class. They must use their own animal.
- The class winners will compete for champion showman.
- The dates for computing the age of a show person will be January 1 of the current year.
- A video of up to 90 seconds should be submitted. The video should contain the usual moves of a showmanship class. Moving the animal around the ring, bracing for the judge to handle, rear view and side view are some suggestions.
*NEW* this year - Youth Market Classes:
- Market classes for each livestock species have been added to youth divisions; however, no auction will take place.
- See guidelines for videos/pictures in first paragraph above.