Voting Laws: Statewide Ballot Proposal White PaperDOWNLOAD FILE
The proposed constitutional amendment would amend the Michigan Constitution to:
- Protect the right of every Michigan voter to vote a secret ballot.
- Require that military service members abroad receive an absentee ballot at least 45 days before the election.
- Protect the right to vote a straight ticket (mark a single box to vote for all of the candidates from one political party) on partisan ballots.
- Automatically register everyone to vote when he or she gets a driver’s license or state identification card, unless the person declines.
- Allow Michigan voters to register to vote up to 15 days before the election by mail and up to and on Election Day in person.
- Allow all registered voters to vote absentee for any reason.
- Allow for auditing of statewide elections to ensure their accuracy and integrity.