Resources for Homeowners
This page features a series of resources for homeowners to help them appropriately maintain their septic system and handle other wastewater issues.
- Wastewater management along inland lakes: impacts, alternative on-lot/off-lot systems, and example septic to sewer projects in Michigan, 2022 Michigan Inland Lakes Convention
- Managing Your Septic System, MSU Extension
- Does Your Community Need a “Sewer” System?, National Onsite Wastewater Recycling Association
- Environmental Protection Agency’s Septic (Onsite/Decentralized) Systems
- Home *A*Syst Chapter 11: Managing Wastewater, MSU Extension
- Home *A*Syst: Managing Shoreline Property to Protect Water Quality, MSU Extension
- Planting on Your Septic Drain Field, Virginia Cooperative Extension
- Onsite Wastewater, Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes & Energy
- Frequently Asked Questions About Onsite Wastewater Systems, Stephens Consulting Services, P.C.
- Frequently Asked Questions: Septic Systems and Flooding Events, Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes & Energy
- Guidance for Septic Systems Before, During and After a Flood, National Environmental Health Association
Recorded Septic Webinars
April 2020 Septics 101 webinar
November 2016 webinar: "Septic Systems: Insight into Your Onsite System". The webinar includes an overview of Michigan onsite programs, how septic systems are regulated, how septic systems function and best management practices. Click here to watch a recording of the webinar.