Former Chair, Professor Emeritus
Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics
446 West Circle Drive, Room 202
East Lansing, MI 48824-1039
Ph.D., 1909. University of Michigan
MS., 1896. Michigan Agricultural College
BS., 1891. Michigan Agricultural College
Professor Emeritus Wilbur O. Hedrick was born in Elkhart, Indiana. Joining Michigan State College (MSC), Professor Hedrick was first an Instructor in English from 1891 to 1893. He was later an Assistant Professor in History and Political Science, 1893 – 1906, and he first taught in the Department of History. In 1917 he helped establish the Department of Economics, and was Department Chairperson of Economics at MAC (formally MSC) from 1917 until 1930.
Professor Hedrick taught the first course in agricultural economics - Economics 2, “Agricultural Economics” to college degree students at MAC in 1911. In 1913, he taught the first course in farmer cooperatives, Economics 3, and this was probably the second such course taught in the United States. Dr. Hedrick also taught the first course in agricultural marketing, Economics 12, “Marketing of Farm Products”, in 1916. He was a humorous and effective teacher.
Professor Hedrick resigned the Chairmanship of the Department of Economics in 1930 but continued to teach in the department for another eight years, retiring at the age of 70 in 1938.
The Hedrick Cooperative House at Michigan State was named in his honor in 1933.