Smart Phone Equipment Guide
Tripods & Mounts
- For people who want a standard mount, there is the square jellyfish jelly grip.
- For people in the field who want to attach their phone to a structure or pole (in a barn, etc), there is the Joby GorillaPod (a mini-tripod with bendable legs): https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1359601-REG/joby_jb01505_gorillapod_325.html?sts=pi&pim=Y
Any standard tripod will work with a smart phone, as long as you have a standard mount for your camera, allowing it to screw onto the tripod. You get what you pay for. If you spend a “little” on a tripod, expect less-than expected results.
- For a sturdier tripod, there is the Magnus VT-4000 Tripod System: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/842086-REG/Magnus_VT_4000_VT_4000_Tripod_System.html
This is more expensive, but it will provide a sturdier base to the filming, and should last longer than less-expensive tripods.
Cell Phone microphones
- Rode smartLav is an excellent mic. Rode brand is a good one. This mic will plug into your smart phone: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1059342-REG/rode_smartlav_smart_lav_lav_mic_for.html
- If you need distance from your phone while recording, Rode has a 20 foot extension audio cable: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1112797-REG/rode_rodsc1_6m_20_trrs_extension.html
If you have questions before purchasing gear, I would recommend a “live chat” with B&H photo representatives. They are excellent to work with, and do not try to sell you on the most expensive item. Our department has worked with B&H Photo Video for years, and have had great results.