Override Requests for Animal Science Courses

Please see the information below regarding specific kinds of overrides and how the override can be obtained. All override requests must include specific details regarding why you need an override, the course number and section, your student number and the semester of your expected graduation. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Tracy Rich in the Animal Science Undergraduate Affairs Office in 1250 Anthony Hall via email at richt@msu.edu, via phone at 517-353-9227, or by stopping into the office between the hours of 8AM to 12PM or 1PM to 5PM.

Seat Limit Overrides

If you are unable to enroll for an ANS course because the seat limit has been reached, you MUST add yourself to the wait list. If you need this class to graduate and will not have another opportunity to take the class, please schedule and appointment with your advisor to discuss alternatives. Office staff, instructors, and advisors use the wait list to determine if overrides will be necessary. Priority is given to graduating seniors, but seats in full sections are not guaranteed.

Restricted Course Overrides

Some ANS courses are restricted to Animal Science majors only, or require departmental and/or instructor approval to enroll in the course. Many of the restricted courses require forms. See below for specific requirements.

If you would like to enroll in an independent study (290/490/890), please fill out the independent study form with the help of your instructor. Once the form is filled out, sign the form yourself and have the instructor sign as well. The form may be sent electronically to Tracy Rich at the above email or it can be dropped off in 1250 Anthony. Once the completed form is received, a section will be assigned and you will be enrolled in the course.

If you would like to enroll in research credit (492), please fill out the Animal Science Research Application form with the help of your instructor. https://msu.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6lBgeycjL59tNJAhttps://msu.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6lBgeycjL59tNJA. Once the completed form is approved, a section will be assigned and you will be enrolled in the course.

Forms can be obtained by contacting Tracy or stopping by 1250 Anthony Hall.

If you would like to enroll in an internship (493), the form is online at https://msu.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_00bJWaPAJzVtCVEhttps://msu.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_00bJWaPAJzVtCVEhttps://msu.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_00bJWaPAJzVtCVE. If you have any questions regarding the internship, please contact the internship coordinator, Dr. Miriam Weber Nielsen. Once the application has been approved, you will be notified.

For all other restricted courses, contact the instructor.

Prerequisite Overrides

A “Course Restriction Not Satisfied” message may mean that the prerequisites are not satisfied or the computer cannot identify a prerequisite you took or are transferring from another institution. If you have met with an advisor and they have a waived prerequisite (e.g., ANS 101 is waived and you need to enroll in ANS 301), please provide details in your email along with your student number.

If you believe that you have satisfied the prerequisite or have already submitted an official transcript to MSU’s Registrar’s Office, please provide detailed information in your email.

If you believe the prerequisite has been fulfilled at another institution but have not yet submitted the transcript, please submit the official transcript from your transferring institution as soon as possible. A 2.0 grade or higher must be achieved to receive transfer credit. A contingent override may be granted, but if we cannot verify you’ve met the prerequisite within the first week of classes, you may be dropped from the course.

Please submit official transcripts to:

Michigan State University
Office of Admissions
426 Auditorium Road, Rm. 250
East Lansing, MI 48824

For questions, please contact Tracy Rich in the undergraduate office at richt@msu.edu or 517-353-9227.