Midwest Nut Producers Council
The mission of the Midwest Nut Producers Council (MNPC) is to enhance the region's commercial nut industry through education, research and promotion of nuts and the tree species and varieties that bear nuts.
The goals of MNPC are to promote:
- The establishment of nut and certain small fruit tree plantings in the regions.
- The best growing practices for nut trees with respect to sustainable agricultural goals when at all possible.
- Scientific research in nut tree breeding and culture.
- Better production techniques.
- Nut and certain small fruit quality.
- Marketing in terms of the education of the producer, the retailer and the general public.
Short term goals include:
- Research and collaboration with MDARD and MSU on research
- Asian chestnut gall wasp
- Chestnut weevil
- Orchard development and management template/book/curriculum
- Marketing and brand development scaled to production
- Crop estimate tools
- Harvester technology, particularly small to mid-scale harvesters that don’t clog
- Research consumer preferences
To become a member of the MCPC download and complete the registration form.
Board of directors
- President: Corey Allen
- Vice President: Ken Hewitt
- Treasurer: Mark Apelt
- Secretary: Melanie Jones
- Directors: Alan Brent, Joel Warmolts, Kate Matheson, Abby Johnson, Mark Dahmer and Christin Othmer
- Michigan State University Advisors: Erin Lizotte and Daniel Guyer
- Chestnut Growers Inc. Representative: Roger Blackwell