Packaging Materials Sustainability and Recycling: Fundamental Course
Packaging Sustainability and Path-Forward for Packaging Industry
The course is self-paced fundamental course using the MSU online platform D2L. There will also be two live sessions with Dr. Rabnawaz to answer questions from the attendees scheduled at the end of week one and week two. These interactive sessions will be recorded and shared with registered attendees. The material will include video lectures, lectures notes, and other supplemental materials for deepening knowledge. Attendees will need to watch videos and read notes provided to prepare them for the interactive sessions. A certificate of completion will be mailed to each participant.
Cost is $800.00 per student or $1400.00 for 2 students.
Register for the March 27, 2023 start date:
Register for the March 27, 2023 start date
Key Learning outcomes from this course:
- Understand packaging materials (plastic, wood, paper, glass, metals) sustainability issues, regulations, and potential solutions
- Learn how to stabilize different packaging materials for the safe delivery and use of the packaged product
- Make data-driven choices when it comes to packaging sustainability
- Understand advances in plastic recycling and leverage them in the decision-making process for your company to meet the upcoming recycling regulations
- Enhance your company profitability by taking the packaging sustainability laws as an opportunity to do better than the competitors
Plastics: Appropriate plastic selection; stability of the plastic during use; chemical and mechanical recycling; understanding upcoming regulations; trends in packaging with plastics, the future of multilayers, and so on.
Paper/paperboard and Wood: Degradation and stability of the wood and paper/paper during use as packaging material; recycling of wood/paper products; EPR related to paper, paperboard, and wood products
Glass: Factors affecting the stability of glass as packaging materials; how to improve the strength of glass as packaging material, glass recycling
Metals: Factors affecting the stability of metals as packaging materials; how to improve product stability in metallic cans/containers, metals recycling
Packaging materials end of life: Packaging waste issues; Legal, regulatory, and green design
Who should attend this course:
- Companies’ sustainability team/leader/manager
- Companies’ materials R&D team/leader/manager
Asynchronous (self-directed), online learning with two live interactive sessions via Zoom (Virtual) at the end of week one and end of week two.