The Center for Research on Ingredient Safety at Michigan State University is a program for food and consumer product ingredient safety that will broadly build capability in ingredient safety-related research, training and risk communication. CRIS is an academic, science-based center that serves as a leading source for information on the safe use of chemical ingredients in consumer packaged goods including foods, beverages, cosmetics and household consumer products.
CRIS comprises three major components: Research, Risk Communication, and Training.
- The research focus at MSU will be on expanding the opportunity to conduct basic and applied research on the safety and toxicology of ingredients in food, packaging, cosmetics and household care products.
- CRIS will communicate these findings to consumers, policymakers, and industry in a timely fashion to support evidence-informed decision making. The communication strategy for CRIS will be developed through a partnership between MSU and Arizona State University (ASU).
- The Environmental and Integrative Toxicological Sciences (EITS) doctoral program at MSU will contribute to CRIS by adding new toxicology training with emphasis on food and ingredient safety. Through the EITS program, CRIS will provide customized education in mechanisms of toxicity, ingredient safety, policy and risk assessment to prepare students to serve multiple sectors, including industry, government, and academics.
How will CRIS make an impact?
- Provide research data and analysis supporting the use of safe ingredients in food and consumer products
- Develop independent and effective risk communication aimed at supporting evidence-based decision making
- Establish advanced training to develop the next generations’ toxicologists with expertise in ingredient safety
- Offer unbiased evaluation of new technology
- Generate results from collaborative research on ingredient safety
- Support for the management of potential safety issues
- Promote collaborative engagement with other institutions on issues of common interest