The Flint Leverage Points Project is currently actively collecting data. (Please note that we are only engaging online now, as we Stay Home, Stay Safe to stop the spread of COVID-19).
Here's how the Flint community is taking action based on FLPP research results so far:
- The Community Foundation of Greater Flint (CFGF) used data on the impact of COVID-19 on transportation and food access to provide evidence required by funders and successfully secured additional funding for transportation options to grocery stores.
- CFGF funded Urgent Relief Grants for Flint organizations and pantries that deliver food directly to residents' homes during the pandemic.
- CFGF is developing new bilingual signage for Double Up Food Bucks.
- CFGF is developing digital signage to help promote Double Up Food Bucks.
- The Fair Food Network is developing a new app to help promote and more widely disperse information about assistance programs, including Double Up Food Bucks. This app is in progress and we hope to see it released soon!
- CFGF is sharing FLPP results with their Board of Trustees to inform planning for priorities for food systems grant money in the future.
- Increased transparency and communications on FLPP progress and data as an on-going process. Data are made available on our website and shared in the form of Briefing Notes and an interactive timeline.
- Project team members Joe Schipani and Renee Wallace are creating recommendations of tools that could be part of a community implementation toolkit for applying the research from this project. These recommendations will be presented in a proposal to the CFGF for funding consideration.
- Community faith leaders have reported that their learning from this project has helped them get a better idea of the “big picture” of the inequities of the food system in Flint, which is helpful in planning for the future.
- CFGF granted urgent relief funds to Holy Redeemer Church to provide ethnic food including tortillas, maseca, cilantro, avocados, jalapeños, beans, rice, etc., to the Latinx community.
As we learn, will continue to share data and outcomes here. It’s early in the project, so this will grow as we move along! Please check back.