LEAD FOR THE COMMON GOOD
The mission of the Great Lakes Leadership Academy is to promote positive change, economic vitality, and resource conservation and enhance the quality of life in Michigan by encouraging leadership for the common good.
For nearly 15 years, the Great Lakes Leadership Academy has helped to develop leaders for the common good by increasing their skills, self-awareness, and effectiveness in collaborating with others. The 2021-22 Leadership Advancement Program (LAP) will build upon GLLA’s legacy of leadership and expand its network of servant leaders.
Program participants will strengthen their understanding for the importance of Michigan’s natural resources; human, physical and environmental assets; and the critical issues associated with the growth and sustainability of Great Lakes communities.
Participants will become aware of the personal behaviors, experiences and preferences that can influence styles of leadership. The program places emphasis on the importance of collaboration, communication and engagement with the diverse communities and cultures throughout in the State. An exploration into innovative, equitable and inclusive approaches for addressing serious issues will help participants learn to become better at group problem-solving and collaborative decision making.
Overall, graduates of LAP will demonstrate improved leadership skills across the following domains:
- Emotional Resilience
- Cultural Competence
- Personal and Professional Development
- Knowledge and Perspectives
- Visibility as Leaders
- Classroom and experiential learning
- Exposure to emerging issues in Michigan through hands-on learning
- Broadened perspectives through exposure to societal, economic, and cultural differences
- A forum for diverse perspectives
- State and International travel
- Ongoing networking, training, and support of alumni