Have a home gardening or lawn question?
Call our gardening hotline at 1-888-678-3464 or Ask an Expert.
Gardeners aim to grow good produce or nurture lovely lawns and landscaping. “Smart gardeners” obtain those goals with earth-friendly techniques that can save money. Our advice is based on science performed at Michigan State University or other land grant universities.
Don't forget to check out our Smart Gardening resources, which includes tip sheets and informational videos.
- Mow at the highest setting to promote deep roots, avoid grub damage and crowd out weeds.
- Mulch leaves and grass clippings into lawn to recycle nutrients.
- Learn how to have a smart lawn.
- Select the right fruit for your location and needs. Plant size, soil conditions, winter hardiness and number of years before harvest are essential to know when growing successful fruit.
- Learn how to grow smart backyard fruit.
- Select well-adapted or native plants, trees and shrubs to simplify meeting the plant’s needs.
- Learn how to select smart flowers and trees/shrubs.
- Don’t guess, soil test to ensure an effective balance of nutrients.
- Learn how to test and build smart soils.
- Select the right vegetables for your location. Sunlight, water and good soil are essential for growing good vegetables.
- Learn how to plant a smart vegetable garden.
Smart Gardening to Protect Pollinators
- Invite pollinators to your garden or landscape by creating a smart habitat with pollinator-friendly plants and lawns.
- Learn how to protect pollinators using smart gardening techniques.