Whether you are new to gardening or a veteran, our vegetable gardening tip sheet will help you be successful from planting to harvest. Check out our “How to Grow” series in our Resources section for more information on growing specific vegetables.
Garden Planning Calendar
Where to Put Your Garden
- Choose a smart site for your vegetable garden.
- Container gardening for vegetables and herbs
- How to grow a hydroponic garden
Build Your Garden Soil
- Smart fertilizer use: A vegetable garden begins with a soil management plan.
- Caring for your soil tip sheet
Plan Your Garden on Paper
Plant Your vegetable Garden
- Planting a smart vegetable garden
- Planting vegetables: includes list of cool and warm season crops
- Selecting healthy transplants
- Starting seeds
- Planting fall vegetable crops for your garden
Keep Your Plants Growing
- Smart Gardening: Pollination in vegetable gardens and backyard fruit
- Gardening for pollinators: Smart plants to support pollinators
- Invite pollinators to your garden by creating a smart habitat
- Use integrated pest management (IPM) to manage garden problems.
- Identify and manage common pests and diseases.
- View videos on mulching to control weeds and adding row covers.
- Celery Fusarium yellows
- Potato late blight
- Potato verticillium wilt and early vine death
- Tomato bacterial canker
- Tomato early blight
- Tomato septoria leaf spot
- Tomato diseases in the home garden
- Blossom-end rot of tomato
- FAQ about late blight in potatoes and tomatoes
Harvest & Preserving Vegetables
- Vegetable harvest tip sheet
- Individual tip sheets on using, storing and cooking with Michigan vegetables
- USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning
MSUE Food Safety Information
- MSUE Food Safety Hotline: 1-877-643-9882
- Food safety resources