2016 Clean Boats Clean Waters trainings

Be a volunteer hero! Help stop aquatic invasive species from invading our lakes. Aquatic invasive species (AIS) prevention is a state priority. Learn how to coordinate a local team to battle these invaders.

Michigan Clean Boats, Clean Waters (CBCW) program volunteers make a big difference at local lakes by helping to prevent the spread of unwanted aquatic hitchhikers on boats, trailers, sporting equipment and other watercraft. These include the Eurasian water milfoil, curly leaf pondweed, zebra mussel, spiny water flea, rusty crayfish, and more. In Michigan is unlawful to put any watercraft and carrying trailer into a body of water if there is visible vegetation clinging to it. This helps but there is more that you can do. You can become a Clean Boats, Clean Waters volunteer leader.

Two CBCW volunteer leader trainings are scheduled through Michigan State University Extension for this spring. The first one will be in Boyne Falls at the Boyne Valley Township Hall just prior to the Michigan Inland Lakes Convention. The second one is in Shelbyville at the Luella Collins Community Center. Registration is available online. You can download a flier listing the location address and times. If you need more information contact me at clawsonb@anr.msu.edu or call 269-330-5554.

A CBCW volunteer is a person who cares to stay informed and is passionate about maintaining the highest water quality of their lake or river. Through sharing that knowledge and passion with others volunteers invest in helping boat owners inspect their own watercraft before and after enter the water. They encourage prevention of the introduction of AIS through working together.

For more information about invasive aquatic plants contact me, Beth Clawson, MSU Extension educator. To learn more about invasive organisms and invasive aquatic plants contact Michigan State University Extension Natural Resources educators who are working across Michigan to provide aquatic invasive species educational programming and assistance. You can contact an educator through MSU Extension’s expert website.

Did you find this article useful?