Statement acknowledging the impact on our community of the Minneapolis trial verdict
Students, please read the messages from our MSU President and Dean Hendrick. The School of Packaging and Dr. Daum are in alignment with these statement and sentiments.
April 21, 2021
Dear CANR Colleagues,
The trial in the murder of George Floyd ended Tuesday with the jury finding the officer who killed him guilty on all counts.
It is tempting to see this verdict as an ending. It is rather an opportunity to renew our efforts to recognize the shortcomings and failings in our academic and social structures, and work to remedy them.
Remembering that events of the past year have impacts on our community is critical. We encourage you to reach out to check on the well-being of colleagues, family members and students, especially those most likely to be affected by the traumas witnessed. Offer active support, now and into the future. Set aside our necessary embrace of virtual work, to virtually embrace others.
Our university community, including President Stanley, continues to support all members of our community. And, recognizing that many are affected in different ways, Counseling and Psychiatric Services (CAPS) is hosting listening space events for students. Additionally, employees can visit the Employee Assistance Program or schedule an appointment by calling 517-355-4506.
· Ron Hendrick, Dean
· Quentin Tyler, Associate Dean for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion; Acting Associate Dean for Administration and Faculty Affairs
· Kelly Millenbah, Senior Associate Dean, Director of Academic and Student Affairs
· Doug Buhler, Director, AgBioResearch and Assistant Vice President for Research and Innovation
· Patrick Cudney, Acting Director, MSU Extension
· George Smith, Associate Dean and Associate Director, AgBioResearch