Funding for NRCS National Level Conservation Innovation Grant now available

The USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) announced the availability of Conservation Innovation Grant (CIG) funding.

Yesterday, the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) announced the availability of Conservation Innovation Grant (CIG) funding to “stimulate the development and adoption of innovative conservation approaches and technologies.” The USDA NRCS administers both national and state level CIG awards. This announcement is for the national CIG program, which tends to be larger, multi-year awards. The state-level CIG grant announcement should be publicized in the next few months.

Total national CIG funding for 2018 is $10 million, for projects ranging from one to three years in duration. The closing date for this grant is February 26, 2018. There is a cost-share/match required, which was 50 percent in 2016. For those interested in learning more, the USDA is offering an online Adobe Connect webinar on January 11, 2018, at 4 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. Because of the application’s requirements, it is highly recommended that potential applicants sign up for this webinar.

In 2017, over $22 million was invested in 33 projects across the U.S. (See map below).  For an overview of each project funded in 2017 please visit the USDA NRCS website here.

The CIG catalyzes resource conservation through public-private partnership innovation. Eligible entities include: nongovernmental organizations, American Indian Tribes and individuals. Importantly, because CIG is funded with Environmental Quality Incentive Program (EQIP) dollars, producers must be EQIP eligible to apply. For more information on EQIP eligibility, visit the National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition website. For those groups or individuals interested in applying, please visit the NRCS CIG information page for applicants.

If you are interested in local food, farming and community food systems, please contact a member of the Michigan State University Extension Community Food Systems Work team or contact your local Michigan State University Extension office. 

Did you find this article useful?