A mobile-friendly guide for weed identification in nurseries and landscapes is now available
This important weed identification tool can be downloaded for free to view on smart phones and tablets.
A popular integrated pest management (IPM) tool for nursery growers and landscaping professionals is now available as “An IPM Pocket Guide for Weed Identification in Nurseries and Landscapes.” This compact weed identification guide contains pictures and short description of different weed species that are commonly found in nurseries and landscapes of the north central region of the United States. With support from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA, Hatch project number MICL02670 and the USDA NIFA Crop Protection and Pest Management Program 2017-70006-27175, the pocket guide is now available as a free mobile-friendly PDF, allowing growers to download and view the guide right from their mobile or tablet device.
The mobile guide for weed identification in nurseries and landscapes covers identification and biology of different weed species (with family, scientific and common names, a short description of the weed species and description of similar weeds), weed classifications, grass and broadleaf characteristics. Pictures are provided separately for each weed species and for their specific identifying characters, such as leaf shape, flower, fruits, seeds, etc.
Tips for accessing the mobile-friendly guide:
- Download the guide at: http://bit.ly/nurseryweeds-IPM
- Use your phone’s default app for viewing a PDF, or download a PDF viewer such as the free Adobe Acrobat Reader app (available at the App Store or Google Play).
- Use the jump-down links in the Contents section to navigate to a specific section or page.
- If using the clickable index, click on your weed of interest (e.g., Annual bluegrass) to navigate to that page.
- Note that each weed has a link back to the index (top right of the page) or back to the table of contents (top left of the page).
The 2007 edition of nursery and landscape weed identification pocket guide was written by Steven A. Gower (MSU Diagnostic Services) and Robert J. Richardson (formerly at MSU). The guide was originally supported in 2007 by North Central Integrated Pest Management Center IPM Enhancement Grants Program, Project GREEN, North Central Plant Diagnostic Network, and MSU IPM Program and Diagnostic Services.