MSU Extension makes a difference in Marquette County in 2018
District director Erin Carter reflects on the MSU Extension educational programs during 2018 that help Marquette County residents improve their lives.
Over the past year, Michigan State University (MSU) Extension partnered with Marquette County to continue strengthening youth, families, businesses and communities. Your MSU Extension staff members, grounded in local relationships, serve by bringing the university’s research and resources to provide outreach and education in the areas Marquette County residents need it most.
In this piece, we’re excited to share about the people and programs that are improving the lives of Marquette County residents in many ways, including helping grow Michigan’s agriculture economy, encouraging sustainable use of our natural resources, controlling health care costs by giving individuals the information they need to manage chronic illness and preparing tomorrow’s leaders. From an in-person workshop to online education, MSU Extension professionals work every day to provide the most current information when people need it to ensure their success – in the workplace, at home and in the community.
Making a difference by the numbers
We have gathered numbers to give an overview of some of the highlights of the difference we're making:
- Over 100 years of serving Marquette County residents
- $9,640,336 total economic impact in Marquette County
- 2,094 youth in 4-H and other youth development programs
- 52 Extension professionals providing education to Marquette County, 6 based in the county
- 4,942 visits to the MSU Extension website for resources and information by Marquette County residents
- $1,452,056 spending with local businesses
- 1,485 hours invested in Marquette County projects and gardens by Master Gardener volunteers
We’re passionate about serving Mackinac County, have been for over 100 years and we're looking forward to a new year of serving. Thank you for your continued support of MSU Extension and for partnering with us to make a difference.